Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
EricIvins said:
Tom said:
Gorgeous pics Carl.

I've seen yellow, orange, red and everything in between. Does the color of the hatchlings correspond to what they will look like as adults? In other words, does it change a lot? If I bought a bright red hatchling with lots of color, is it going to stay that way?

I find that this isn't neccessarily the case - Some really nice hatchlings dull out and vice versa......Depends on the genetics behind the animal(s), since most Cherryheads aren't that spectacular when mature to begin with.......

The best indicator is Plastron color and color of the leg scales........Not neccessarily the head plates.......

I have found this to be true as well. Some females consistently produce hatchlings that come out of the egg being rather faded but that in time color up very well. On the other hand, some neonates that have the most intense colors and bold markings as new hatchlings often become really dark as they grow with the red areas filling in with black pigment.
The same thing often occurs with certain strains of Boa constrictors in that the neonates with the really crisp and boldly marked pattern will become dark and muddy looking as they grow while their 'faded' looking siblings mature with the cleanest look to them.
The cherry heads of mine that became the most intense red as adults were a very light pinkish color when they hatched.
About ten years ago we hatched a super flame red neonate that I just had to keep for myself. At around nine months the color started to change and by the time that hatchling was a year and a half old it was golden yellow. That was the most extreme color change I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.