Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I took in the cutest box turtle this evening. Its probably a western because I've seen ornates this size and they have a more vivid pattern. But these old eyes can't see the pattern well enough to be able to count the "rays."

Poor thing was found in someone's front yard. They thought it had been hit by a car, but it has been dog chewed. The front edges are bad enough to have bled, but the chew on the plastron is pretty bad. It doesn't look like you can see directly into the body cavity, but the tissue moves with each breath.

I hope I can keep him alive. He's pretty cute. Here he/she is soaking in terramycin:

rescue-19-9-10.jpg

rescue-29-9-10-1.jpg

rescue-39-9-10.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

Looking at that stuff just hurts me. Is he eating?

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
I agree with Maggie...that just hurts to see. Poor darlin'. I'm glad he's with you now.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
He's lucky to have you. Keep us posted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I haven't tried to feed him yet.

I don't know why I can't take decent pictures with this new camera. They always turn out blurry. I was very careful to not move as I clicked the shutter, but still blurry. I've tried it on "close-up" same thing.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Good luck with him Yvonne it's a very sad thing that happened to him, but I'm so glad that they found you to nurse him back to health. :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
hard to say from the pictures, but it looks like an eastern.

S

Scooter

Wow that poor guy, I'm very glad they contacted you. Please keep us posted.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
not sure about your camera.. but can you 1/2 press the shutter button, let is focus, Then click the pick?
SOmetimes lighting has something to do with it too.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You'll have him coming around in no time Yyonne. He's really small, and doesn't look like an Ornate to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Neal Butler said:
hard to say from the pictures, but it looks like an eastern.

The pattern is more starburst than what the eastern pattern is. I'm thinking that I can count about 8 or 10 "rays." Maybe she's a mixture of 3-toe and ornate or eastern. She has 4 toes.

cordell

5 Year Member
The will to live these turtles have is amazing! I am glad it is in good hands now :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She eats!

I tried taking another picture like what Laura suggested...partially depressing the button then taking the picture. Blurry. But I took another one with the close-up button and it came out a bit more clear:

rescuetop.jpg

rescuebottom.jpg

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Glendora, CA
Yvonne,

She looks better already!;)

It always amazes me that to take care of these guys and for them to remain healthy, actually requires such little effort on the owner's part - so why do so many don't/won't/can't put out the effort.:(

Sandy

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
She's a Gulf Coast, T.c.major, Yvonne. I'm sure you'll have her doing great in no time. :D

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, I don't think we can blame the previous owner here. This little turtle is perfect. No misshapen carapace, beak or toenails. She's a perfect little specimen. The only thing wrong with her is that a dog got to her somehow and when he was through with her, he put her down out in the neighborhood so she could escape. We'll never know who's dog or if maybe she escaped prior to the dog finding her. But I think the original owner did a pretty darned good job of raising her up and feeding her.

egyptiandan said:
She's a Gulf Coast, T.c.major, Yvonne. I'm sure you'll have her doing great in no time. :D

Danny

Well, now, I never even considered that. I have a lone male gulf coast, so if she gets well, she'll fit right in!

Status
Not open for further replies.