Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Someone brought me a dog-chewed turtle just now, and I'm amazed at the pattern on the skin! I've taken in and rehabbed quite a few Actinemys marmorata (Western pond turtle), and I don't think I've ever seen such pretty skin:

10-22-09rescue-1.jpg

10-22-09rescue-2.jpg

Take a look at the pattern on the back foot. It almost looks like a jaguar or leopard cat pattern. Its so pretty. Here's a picture off the web of what they usually look like:

westernpondturtlefromweb.jpg

Poor thing has been all chewed up around the edges of its shell. But thankfully, no invasions into the body cavity. Also its very thin!

I'm always thankful when winter rolls around and I breathe in a sigh of relief that I don't have any indoor habitats to set up. Well, that's not the case this winter. I still have the African sideneck that I can't find a home for, and 8 babies and 3 two year old desert tortoises that need homes. Also a sick box turtle. And now this poor skinny turtle! I'm running out of ROOM!!

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Awww he is beautiful Yvonne :), I know I already said it but I will say it again, you are amazing. That is very very nice what you are doing for our little friends :).

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I know the feeling Yvonne. I swore I would never take in another water turtle, and re-homed the last one, and converted my pond into a Koi pond. Now I have this poor little RES...nine years old, and only about 3 in. that I took in. It never ends. But how can you refuse these poor little guys. That is a beautiful WPt.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shelly said:
Will he eventually be reintroduced to the wild?

I have an agreement with the DFG (an M.O.U.) that I can release them when they're rehabbed. I have a list of areas where they've allowed me to put them.

Yvonne

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Yvonne, does the California Tortoise Rescue Aid Society reimburse you for all the money you spend? Do you get any kind of state or federal grants? How the heck do you afford all these rehabs? To say nothing of the physical toll of pen cleaning, feeding, and PT-ing all these critters!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, the rescue part of my "habit" is very small compared to my own collection. I DO get in a lot of rescues, but all it amounts to is an occasional yard inspection, and caring for the turtle or tortoise for a couple weeks while I watch to make sure he's healthy. Of course, the sick ones and the dog chewed ones are more work, now that my "nurse, receptionist" (Maggie) has moved to Oregon, but even with them, its not that much work.

My whole operation is funded by ME!! I'm retired from the phone company and have no bills except the usual monthly ones (power, insurance, etc.) I really don't want donations. Its too much trouble, and while extra money would always come in handy, I don't need it.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.