Recommendations for night heating

Swanniejack

Location (City and/or State)
Carmarthen
Hi I'm looking for advice on night heating for my 2.5 year old Leopard which lives in a 4ft closed chamber, I live in the UK and want to ensure temp doesn't drop too low in the night, any recommendations on products etc TIA

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
Hi I'm looking for advice on night heating for my 2.5 year old Leopard which lives in a 4ft closed chamber, I live in the UK and want to ensure temp doesn't drop too low in the night, any recommendations on products etc TIA
I personally recommend the 150W CHE on Amazon. They give off really good heat, so much that even if your hand is a foot away you can still feel the heat.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Check into something like this. I know that you are in the UK, so product availability different.

➡️ https://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

I like these radiant heat panels ‘cause they create a nice even distribution of heat, less concentrated than CHEs.

ps - always use heaters etc with a thermostat, not on their own.

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
Check into something like this. I know that you are in the UK, so product availability different.

https://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

I like these radiant heat panels ‘cause they create a nice even distribution of heat, less concentrated than CHEs.

ps - always use heaters etc with a thermostat, not on their own.
I would've recommend heat panels but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want to spend that much on them. They're roughly expensive. CHEs are second to heat panels for me and they're REAL cheap so I think he would rather that then heat panels.

Swanniejack

Carmarthen
Thanks for the advice both, will look into heat panels, I know they are more expensive initially but I'm sure you would make that back on electric over a CHE, Im new to this and just want what's right for my little fella ? lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the advice both, will look into heat panels, I know they are more expensive initially but I'm sure you would make that back on electric over a CHE, Im new to this and just want what's right for my little fella ? lol
A 100 watt CHE uses the same power as a 100 watt RHP. The difference is in how the heat is made and dispersed. RHPs give mild even heat over a larger area. CHEs concentrate more heat into a smaller area. RHPs are better in my opinion. Both need a thermostat.

Swanniejack

Carmarthen
Hi Tom, Thanks for that, as I'm in the UK I'm unable to get hold of a RHP so will have to settle for a CHE which will be thermostatically controlled, he lives in a closed chamber in house, it's more for peace of mind incase temp drops below recommended in your care guide.

One other question if you don't mind it's regarding humidity, I spray his carapace three times a day and have a humid hide with a sponge in top, do I still need to spray his substrate etc to get humidity up or do I only have to keep hide humid now in order for him to have an option of climates? Sorry for the long message, a newbie and want what's right for my new little friend ?