Heating for Russians

tortoiseplanet

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I’m building an outdoor enclosure for my Russians and I’m making them a heated shed for the night time. Anyone have recommendations on how to heat the shed. It’s going to be small (like a small-medium dog house). I’m thinking of using a heat bulb about 1-2 feet over the ground in the shed. What do you recommend; red or black light for night time? (If there’s a difference), and what wattage is good for that height and size (50W-70W-100W)?
IMG_1872.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I’d use a CHE or a radiant heat panel; the heat panel is what we use. You’ll need to build a larger box overall to accomodate the size but you’ll also get to build it with a lower height. I believe the lower box is more similar to a burrow, it’s “cozier”; our tortoise took to this box much more easily than she did her previous one with the high ceiling. The heat is also consistently distributed, this isn’t a basking area. Ours is in it right now, coming out of hibernation.

We based our box off one of Tom’s: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/heating-an-outdoor-russian-night-box.116180/#post-1077261.

I agree with the temperature of 65.

Whatever you do, don’t use a red light; tortoises are attracted to red and your tortoise will be distracted by it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also forgot to ask, what temps are ideal for russians at night?

There are quite a few variables that determine this. What size russian and where are you? There is not a set answer to this question, and night temps can vary with the seasons, and corresponding daytime highs.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
There are quite a few variables that determine this. What size russian and where are you? There is not a set answer to this question, and night temps can vary with the seasons, and corresponding daytime highs.

The Russians are 4” and bigger. I’m in Orange County CA. I’m just asking what the lowest temp should be for a Russian and the ideal temp. So for example if 60F is the least then I won’t go and put them in the heated shed, but anything below that temp I will. And what’s the ideal temp for night time, what temp should the shed be? I’m building it as we speak in fact. It’s 2 feed high and the lamp will drop about half a foot so it will be 1 1/2ft over the ground inside the shed. I’m going to use a Ceramic Heat Emitter. For that height, what wattage would you recommend (for the CHE) to achieve the ideal/most comfortable temp for the Russians at night? Thanks.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
Just came across that on eBay. Looks pretty cool. Would that do a better job than a CHE? I was thinking since that has a fan and it’s adjustable btw 100W-300W (I know that’s too hot!). What do you think? Which one will last longer you think?
IMG_1889.jpgIMG_1890.jpg
View attachment 230799
IMG_1891.jpgIMG_1892.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The Russians are 4” and bigger. I’m in Orange County CA. I’m just asking what the lowest temp should be for a Russian and the ideal temp. So for example if 60F is the least then I won’t go and put them in the heated shed, but anything below that temp I will. And what’s the ideal temp for night time, what temp should the shed be? I’m building it as we speak in fact. It’s 2 feed high and the lamp will drop about half a foot so it will be 1 1/2ft over the ground inside the shed. I’m going to use a Ceramic Heat Emitter. For that height, what wattage would you recommend (for the CHE) to achieve the ideal/most comfortable temp for the Russians at night? Thanks.
I'd set it for 65. In summer when it will be 90+ every day, I'd unplug it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The Russians are 4” and bigger. I’m in Orange County CA. I’m just asking what the lowest temp should be for a Russian and the ideal temp. So for example if 60F is the least then I won’t go and put them in the heated shed, but anything below that temp I will.

How many Russians do you have? Mine puts herself away, so do Tom’s. Maybe you already move yours in and out on a regular basis?

You and I are both in Orange County, although you are further south than me, and inland.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Don’t think this will be good for night. Says it has a light. Torts need complete darkness at night. Even a soft light is not dark enough. Or, maybe you could just cover the led section.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Could I have the link to that fan? It seems interesting and I might be able to use it for something else :)

tortoiseplanet

Earth
How many Russians do you have? Mine puts herself away, so do Tom’s. Maybe you already move yours in and out on a regular basis?

You and I are both in Orange County, although you are further south than me, and inland.

I only have 3 russians right now (1 male, 2 female). I’m planning on getting more soon to get more breeding.