Red Cabbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
I'm pretty sure they can have cabbage I'm just not sure how much. Hopefully someone else will post with more information for you. I tried to give it to Dale once, but he wouldn't touch it. :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I always thought cabbage in general was a bad idea.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
NO.... keep it simple! No need to chase that "VARIETY" myth. Keep it simple.

NERD

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't mix up cabbage with raddiccio. Raddiccio is NOT cabbage, however it looks like cabbage.

Cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, kale, and mustard greens contain substances called "goitrogens" which can affect thyroid function, although this effect is seldom seen unless large amounts of these foods are fed.

So, cabbage can be fed occasionally, but not in large quantities.

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
Hmm, I have both Raddiccio and redleaf lettuce

Is redleaf lettuce okay? I'm just judging from the site.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, both are ok as a part of a varied diet. (Baby box turtles love red-leaf lettuce!)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
What they WILL eat.. and what is really most nutritional is light-years apart.

Where is the wisdom of spending $$$ ( I don't care if they are free ) on empty greens that do nothing but fill them for an hour at best???

Variety is a myth! Well balanced nutrients are vital!

If you care about your redfoot you will feed what is best.. grape leaves - hibiscus leaves/flowers - dandelion leaves - curly endive - escarole - collard greens - kale ( one meal a week tops ). That is the Calcium % in that order. [ I'll post a link as soon as I can find it ]

As many as you can find or have ordered at the produce dept. is best ---- or if one is only available.. make that their staple until others are.

Yes I'm being one way on this! Most of the time in the winter all of mine eat nothing but collard greens for greens.. sometimes week on end.

They thrive and still make babies, etc.

NERD

Good thing this wasn't a snake.. I'd have been bitten - http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm

Take the dialog at face value.

NERD

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I like feeding my sulcatas cabbage, its their favorite after apples. But I never feed it to the foots becasue again they love it and eat it over almost everything. I agree with terry that VARIETY is a myth , in the sense that it is needed. However a variety of food sources is favored by the tortotoises as per my observations. When I feed them Hibiscus leaves they love them, but when the plants start blooming and they get the flowers they go nuts! Then after about a week of that I throw in some fuits and stuff and they could care less about the flowers. And if I get my hands on papaya forget it , they wont eat anything else, they will eat all the papay and walk over everything else looking for more papaya

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Redfootedboxturtles said:
I like feeding my sulcatas cabbage, its their favorite after apples. But I never feed it to the foots becasue again they love it and eat it over almost everything. I agree with terry that VARIETY is a myth , in the sense that it is needed. However a variety of food sources is favored by the tortotoises as per my observations. When I feed them Hibiscus leaves they love them, but when the plants start blooming and they get the flowers they go nuts! Then after about a week of that I throw in some fuits and stuff and they could care less about the flowers. And if I get my hands on papaya forget it , they wont eat anything else, they will eat all the papay and walk over everything else looking for more papaya

Remember this thread is about redfoot tortoises...

YES Vince.. the myth is that a big variety IS needed... based on my posts explaining that sometimes mine will eat ( for greens ) nothing but 'collard greens' [ for example ] for months on end during the winter months when nothing else is available or financially practical.

Also remember that some of us don't live where a "variety" is available year-'round like Vince does! Sunny FL [ except this year??? ].

NERD

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I feel bad if the only thing I feed my torts, (redfoot) included, nothing but one type of food.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
With all due respect to Terry, he is one of the few experienced keepers to feel that variety is unnecessary. Other authors, breeders, large scale keepers and experienced keepers would say that there is a value to variety in that it stimulates appetite, offers a wider variety of micro-nutrients, and more. Most strongly suggest variety. Just because an animal breeds (and breeds beautifully in Terry's case), it is not proof that everything is as good as it could be.

I agree that keeping things simple is a very, very good idea- in diet, housing, etc.- but it is possible to go too simple. Understand- I am not saying his animals are at risk or ANYTHING like that- just that it is possible that things could be better with more variety. By the same token, college students can survive for months on Total cereal and peanut butter and still reproduce- but that does not make it a good idea.

Cabbage has a good Ca: P of 2.05:1, some fiber and other nutrients, etc. It IS considered a goiterogen (along with the other brassicas- cauliflower, kale, etc.) but there is almost no evidence that this is a problem unless you overdo it. Overall- not a bad food, but nothing too special, and my guys usually ignore it except as a last resort.

There is also a value to low nutrient foods- they make good tummy filler on near-fast days or to help slim down a too-plump tortoise. If they are high in moisture content, they can also help with hydration, and the thick cabbage leaves tend to hold more moisture than many other greens.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Mark you and others still don't get it! You are "twisting" the nutritional needs to the point of absurdity.. and misquoting me from the start. I mentioned 6 of the greens highest in calcium %.. as staples! ( remember I'm feeding a few more than most are ) And is it possible that those that you claim advocate what you call "variety" isn't really 'overkill'???

[ that comment about collge students has to be out of order.]

We are talking about during the winter months when only a few "good" greens are available. Do you honestly think that a redfoot tortoise would ever refuse any ONE of those mentioned above? Mine never do!

It's your $$$... [ hope you're not "over-filling" your redfoots ]...

Terry K

BTW.. I am in no way upset or angry or even care about what is considered a varied balanced diet by anyone.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Redfoot NERD said:
Mark you and others still don't get it! You are "twisting" the nutritional needs to the point of absurdity.. and misquoting me from the start. I mentioned 6 of the greens highest in calcium %.. as staples! ( remember I'm feeding a few more than most are ) And is it possible that those that you claim advocate what you call "variety" isn't really 'overkill'???

I have not claimed that they need dozens of different foods at a time, even though you have suggested I have on some threads.

As for saying that others may be doing 'overkill'- a lot of these people have been doing this longer than either of us, breed more than you do, etc. I sure would not dismiss their advice.

[ that comment about collge students has to be out of order.]

You said "mine will eat ( for greens ) nothing but 'collard greens' [ for example ] for months on end during the winter months", twice! I don't see that there is a difference between that and a college student eating badly for the semester.

Collards have a 14.5:1 Ca: P- WAY over the top in the ratio. You know that over-calcification can lead to bladder stones, over-calcified eggs, skeletal and organ issues, etc. especially if combined with dehydration and a lack of vitamin D. I know you do a great job of hydration and the cat food you offer (and did not mention) offers vitamin D and other vitamins... but what about the beginner hearing advice like- 'go ahead and offer collards all winter'- without knowing the water and D parts of the equation?

We are talking about during the winter months when only a few "good" greens are available. Do you honestly think that a redfoot tortoise would ever refuse any ONE of those mentioned above? Mine never do!

Besides collards, other greens with a good Ca: P AND a good amount of calcium would include turnip greens, kelp, arugula, rugula, lambsquarters*, beet greens*, dandelion, bok choy*, parsley*, chickory, cabbage*, spinach*, watercress*, endive and escarole.

Even plain old green leafy lettuce is not OK, especially when paired with a higher calcium food (like collards or turnip greens), or with a small pinch of calcium powder.

(*- brassicas, or things that some lists have as high in oxalates- neither of which is really an issue when you use variety and good hydration and vitamin D.)

It's your $$$... [ hope you're not "over-filling" your redfoots ]...{/quote]

That would be a reference to how MUCH food I offer, not the variety of it. Portion control is a different issue than variety.

Terry K

BTW.. I am in no way upset or angry or even care about what is considered a varied balanced diet by anyone.

For a guy who does not care, you sure make some interesting statements. I KNOW you care about Red-foots, yours and everyone else's- that is one of the things we love about you!

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
If one green has 4:2 Ca: P ratio, can't you just feed twice as much of another leaf witha 2:1 Ca: P ratio? Not only will you get the same nutrition, ur tortoise feels more full and satisfied?

Unless I'm missing something here..

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
As I speak in generalities it sure brings forth interesting 'interpretations'!

'fifth'.. is it really better to feed 2x as much to get the same results?.. since they can't "exercise" it off in the [ confined ] winter months - or in some cases.. ever!

Mark.. who are these that you refer to so often? Are they those that are different than the ones I know that I have spoken ( on the phone ) with over the past 10+ years? Those I know believe it's better to keep them hungry than feed them something just to keep them full [ in their minds ].

Just hung-up with a long-time [ he was there when the 1st "cherryheads" came in ] redfoot keeper/breeder who feeds his youngsters - breeding adults 3x a week. He told me if he had a choice between 3 cases of romaine or 1/2 case of escarole he would choose the escarole -- and so would I. If we weren't able to get the 'staples' I refer to and our redfoots hadn't eaten in 4-5 days we would probly feed them romaine.. just to 'hydrate' them.

He also mentioned that many of these 'keepers' in FL say they are big on variety but in reality feed them the basic 'staples' as much as possible as opposed to the big variety. They are less particular about the fruit items.. but that's usually only once a week [ unless it's "harvest" season].

So to clarify.. we would wait to get the 'best' than feed them something else.. just so we could say we did!

My caresheet [ on redfoots.com ] when read.. plainly states 'Please keep in mind..too much or too little of any one step will throw it all out of balance'. http://www.redfoots.com/redfoot.htm

Eating the "same" greens for 2-3 months out of the year hasn't shown any ill effects anymore than when they park under a plum tree during harvest time in the wild.

FWIW...

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.