Red Cabbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
fifthdawn said:
If one green has 4:2 Ca: P ratio, can't you just feed twice as much of another leaf witha 2:1 Ca: P ratio? Not only will you get the same nutrition, ur tortoise feels more full and satisfied?

Unless I'm missing something here..

A 4:2 ratio is the exact same thing as a 2:1- its the ratio that is important, not the numbers used. When I write Ca: P ratios, I always write it so there is 1 part of Phosphorous to make it easier to compare items.

Both a 2:1 ratio and a 4:2 ratio means there is twice as much calcium as there is phosphorous, but the ratio itself does not tell you how much of either is there. You'd call it 2:1 if the numbers were 186 to 93, or 6 to 3, or etc.

On the other hand, if you had a food item that was 3:1 and another that was 1:1, it WOULD equal 4:2, or 2:1.

Redfoot NERD said:
Mark.. who are these that you refer to so often? Are they those that are different than the ones I know that I have spoken ( on the phone ) with over the past 10+ years? Those I know believe it's better to keep them hungry than feed them something just to keep them full [ in their minds ].

I started doing a point by point thing again, but I really don't want to get into it with you again.

Have a Merry Christmas!

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
Ah, of course, I knew what a ratio is >.<

What I really meant was a fixed amount per leaf. two 2 Ca leaf and one 4 Ca leaf.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
fifthdawn said:
Ah, of course, I knew what a ratio is >.<

What I really meant was a fixed amount per leaf. two 2 Ca leaf and one 4 Ca leaf.

If you try to use 2 leaves of something with low calcium to make up for 1 leaf of something with high calcium, you will be OK on the calcium levels- but then you are spending twice as much, may be offering too many calories, etc.- but it also may serve to help fill the tummy as well, so it sort of depends on what you are trying to do.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
To many numbers, Makes my head hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.