Red-ear slider sick

skrapoy

Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
Hello, so me and my gf found a turtle which then we found out it was a red-ear slider. So now we at the point where we feel like he’s not acting like he should be I’m not turtle smart either but he doesn’t get out to bask. He’s not slow at all. He eats sometimes. Always hides. If anybody can help me out on some clues or anything I can do or might be I just need to talk to someone who can help push me in the right direction. We don’t know if he’s just scared. We would like to know if it would be smarter to let him live the rest of his life in the wild and get a new turtle? Please help!!!

skrapoy

New Orleans
I’m going to buy a heater today the water says it’s at a solid 77 may that be the problem?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I don't know anything about that species but someone will be along to help soon I'm sure. In the meantime I think it would be helpful to talk about your set up. Temperatures, lights, enclosure type and size... some pics would be helpful too if you can. What are you feeding him? You've come to the right place for good solid advice. Welcome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it's a new-to-you turtle, he's just scared. He'll need time to settle in. It would help us help you if we could see how you have him set up.

skrapoy

New Orleans
If it's a new-to-you turtle, he's just scared. He'll need time to settle in. It would help us help you if we could see how you have him set up.

IMG_1535217295.584049.jpgIMG_1535217318.671709.jpg
I feel like I should get better light fixtures like make them hang maybe? Is this good? More less water?

skrapoy

New Orleans
Should I maybe get another red ear or something that can be in there with him will it make him more comfortable or more stressed

skrapoy

New Orleans
I don't know anything about that species but someone will be along to help soon I'm sure. In the meantime I think it would be helpful to talk about your set up. Temperatures, lights, enclosure type and size... some pics would be helpful too if you can. What are you feeding him? You've come to the right place for good solid advice. Welcome!

Thank you! And I am using the red shrimps rarely and then the little water turtle food sticks from pets smart he likes those I posted of my set up should I use less water ? Block stuff off from other stuff hang my lights and make them lower?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Chances are your turtle is just getting settled in still. As long as it's eating you shouldn't have to worry to much. You'll need a pretty good size aquarium 55 gallon+, stock tanks work well too. Sliders are messy, you'll need some strong filtration too, I use canister filters. Make sure you have somewhere for your turtle to get out of the water and completely dry off, you'll need a UVB lamp too. Most turtles won't bask in front of you at first till they become comfortable which can take a while sometimes. Keep your water about 76-80 degrees. Feed once a day a portion about the size of your turtles head. Also you can float greens like romaine or kale, and a Cuttlebone daily.

skrapoy

New Orleans
Chances are your turtle is just getting settled in still. As long as it's eating you shouldn't have to worry to much. You'll need a pretty good size aquarium 55 gallon+, stock tanks work well too. Sliders are messy, you'll need some strong filtration too, I use canister filters. Make sure you have somewhere for your turtle to get out of the water and completely dry off, you'll need a UVB lamp too. Most turtles won't bask in front of you at first till they become comfortable which can take a while sometimes. Keep your water about 76-80 degrees. Feed once a day a portion about the size of your turtles head. Also you can float greens like romaine or kale, and a Cuttlebone daily.

Okay thank you so much I posted a picture of the set up I made I’m new to turtles anything I should do to this setup ? Is it bad?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Looks pretty good. I would try to mount the light so it's shining down right on the basking platform because the water will filter most of the UVB rays. So the majority of UVB you turtle will get will be from basking on that platform. Also make sure the top of that basking platform doesn't submerge and get wet from the weight of your turtle. Your turtle needs to be able to get completely dry on its plastron (belly)

skrapoy

New Orleans
Looks pretty good. I would try to mount the light so it's shining down right on the basking platform because the water will filter most of the UVB rays. So the majority of UVB you turtle will get will be from basking on that platform. Also make sure the top of that basking platform doesn't submerge and get wet from the weight of your turtle. Your turtle needs to be able to get completely dry on its plastron (belly)

Okay gotcha but he really like hiding right there right now so I’m prolly going to go get a log type thing from the petstore and set that up right under the light so he can climb on that to bask sound good?

skrapoy

New Orleans

And do you think I should get him a buddy might make him more comfortable or more stressed?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
And do you think I should get him a buddy might make him more comfortable or more stressed?
I wouldn't I'd let him settle in. How big is your turtle? How long have you had it?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If sliders are native to your area and it was a wild turtle you should maybe consider releasing it too. You can always get a captive bred one now that you've got an enclosure setup.