Red eye lid on russian tortoise

WalnutWordsworth

Location (City and/or State)
Karachi
Hi. I'm freaking out. Tortoise is behaving normally, but one eyelid is reddish purplish. This is my child so please help. I have no idea how he would have hurt himself.Screenshot_20240417_170128_Video Player.jpg20240417_165922.jpg

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hi. I'm freaking out. Tortoise is behaving normally, but one eyelid is reddish purplish. This is my child so please help. I have no idea how he would have hurt himself.View attachment 369394View attachment 369395
Oh bless him😞I’ll let some of the more experienced members advice you cause I’ve never dealt with this, but fear not, you’re in the best place! They’ll be someone along to answer you shortly I’m sure, usually it helps giving them as much information as you can, ie set up, temps, diet etc..
If he’s eating and acting normal that’s encouraging to hear🙂

WalnutWordsworth

Karachi
Oh bless him😞I’ll let some of the more experienced members advice you cause I’ve never dealt with this, but fear not, you’re in the best place! They’ll be someone along to answer you shortly I’m sure, usually it helps giving them as much information as you can, ie set up, temps, diet etc..
If he’s eating and acting normal that’s encouraging to hear🙂
Thank you. Here's some info, really hope it helps. There are no vets that I would trust in my area.
- he gets as much uva and uvb light as he wants every day
- he gets his daily soak for at least 40 minutes
- he eats a diet of kale, purple and green cabbage, sometimes apples, arugula. He doesn't like most other things that I've offered. He had purple cabbage last night.
- temperature is usually around 25c, varies throughout the day. We are in a temperate environment so I don't use temperature control but I do have a temp gage to ensure it stays above 22c
- I've had him for around 2 years, he's been active and interactive the whole time, and nothing has changed.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! I can't tell if this is something serious (can be just an irritation from dry substrate, UVB lamp or simply something got in or poked his eye). If you keep him inside, what substrate to you use and what is humidity in the enclosure and what kind of lamps?

In the meanwhile, you can get sterile saline solution from pharmacy (should be really cheap) and gently wash his eye - just some drops, no spraying.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you. Here's some info, really hope it helps. There are no vets that I would trust in my area.
- he gets as much uva and uvb light as he wants every day
- he gets his daily soak for at least 40 minutes
- he eats a diet of kale, purple and green cabbage, sometimes apples, arugula. He doesn't like most other things that I've offered. He had purple cabbage last night.
- temperature is usually around 25c, varies throughout the day. We are in a temperate environment so I don't use temperature control but I do have a temp gage to ensure it stays above 22c
- I've had him for around 2 years, he's been active and interactive the whole time, and nothing has changed.
It’s indeed very hard to find a vet that actually knows what they’re doing when it comes to treating tortoise unfortunately🫤so it’s good you’ve come here first!
I’m sure this information will help the members advise you further.
Just based on my knowledge, your temps don’t sound bad as long as they aren’t going below 22c, however it probably wouldn’t hurt for them to be a bit higher during the day in their warmer end, more round the 30 mark, though I’m guessing when you say it varies it reaches up to that? I’m sure someone else can chime in on the temps, I’m used to maintaining red foot temps not Russian so I’d wait for someone to double check on that.
I’d probably recommend getting yourself a digital thermometer, or preferably a combo that measures both temp and humidity, the gauges can sometimes be a little inaccurate. Failing that though you can get temp guns super cheap off Amazon, they’re a great way to double check your ground temps to see if your gauge is right.
I could be wrong but, I think most people only soak hatchlings daily? then once they reach adulthood, 2-3 times a week should be ok, though again, thats just what we’re used to doing with our adult red foot. Maybe some people soak their Russians daily. Do you know roughly how old your guy is?
His diet may need slight more variety, sounds like you have a bit of a picky eater lol, they can be a bugger for that😂but usually if you stay persistent and keep offering them, they eventually might start taking to some different greens🙂
Like Alex has said, it could just be something as simple as him having got some substrate in his eye and it’s irritated it, definitely give it a clean with a few drops of saline and closely monitor. Out of interest what kind of UV are you using?

A pic of your set up might be good to include if you can, it’s good hearing his behaviour hasn’t changed!

WalnutWordsworth

Karachi
He has one of those conical shaped uva and uvb lights, I'm not super sure about it. I didn't realize it made a difference.
Also, please don't kill me for this, but for the last two years he hasn't had an enclosure. He chills on furniture and has his little set up in the corner of my bed. I made him a cococoir enclosure at first, but he was constantly scratching at the sides trying to break out, no matter how much space he had (I gave him lots of fun stuff inside as well, food, water, plants, rocks, climbing toys, shade).
But he's been so healthy and happy outside of an enclosure that I decided to let him be.

HOWEVER, if you think that could be detrimental his health I will make him one.

Last edited:

WalnutWordsworth

Karachi
It’s indeed very hard to find a vet that actually knows what they’re doing when it comes to treating tortoise unfortunately🫤so it’s good you’ve come here first!
I’m sure this information will help the members advise you further.
Just based on my knowledge, your temps don’t sound bad as long as they aren’t going below 22c, however it probably wouldn’t hurt for them to be a bit higher during the day in their warmer end, more round the 30 mark, though I’m guessing when you say it varies it reaches up to that? I’m sure someone else can chime in on the temps, I’m used to maintaining red foot temps not Russian so I’d wait for someone to double check on that.
I’d probably recommend getting yourself a digital thermometer, or preferably a combo that measures both temp and humidity, the gauges can sometimes be a little inaccurate. Failing that though you can get temp guns super cheap off Amazon, they’re a great way to double check your ground temps to see if your gauge is right.
I could be wrong but, I think most people only soak hatchlings daily? then once they reach adulthood, 2-3 times a week should be ok, though again, thats just what we’re used to doing with our adult red foot. Maybe some people soak their Russians daily. Do you know roughly how old your guy is?
His diet may need slight more variety, sounds like you have a bit of a picky eater lol, they can be a bugger for that😂but usually if you stay persistent and keep offering them, they eventually might start taking to some different greens🙂
Like Alex has said, it could just be something as simple as him having got some substrate in his eye and it’s irritated it, definitely give it a clean with a few drops of saline and closely monitor. Out of interest what kind of UV are you using?

A pic of your set up might be good to include if you can, it’s good hearing his behaviour hasn’t changed!
He is at least 4 years old. Have posted another comment with the rest of the info.

WalnutWordsworth

Karachi
Also, I just washed his face with clean water, and for a minute his eye seemed better. I'm starting to think maybe it's a cut and it's oozing? The eye looks the same as the picture again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's hard to tell from the pictures. As long as he's eating and otherwise acting normal, I'd just assume he's bumped the eye or scratched the lid with his foot or something minor. Next time you're at a pet store (or look for it on Amazon) pick up a container of Veterycin eye ointment. It's a good thing to have in your Tortoise First Aid Kit.

WalnutWordsworth

Karachi
Hello! I can't tell if this is something serious (can be just an irritation from dry substrate, UVB lamp or simply something got in or poked his eye). If you keep him inside, what substrate to you use and what is humidity in the enclosure and what kind of lamps?

In the meanwhile, you can get sterile saline solution from pharmacy (should be really cheap) and gently wash his eye - just some drops, no spraying.
He's had the same lamp and bulb for 6 months, so couldn't possibly be that, could it?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
He has one of those conical shaped uva and uvb lights, I'm not super sure about it. I didn't realize it made a difference.
Also, please don't kill me for this, but for the last two years he hasn't had an enclosure. He chills on furniture and has his little set up in the corner of my bed. I made him a cococoir enclosure at first, but he was constantly scratching at the sides trying to break out, no matter how much space he had (I gave him lots of fun stuff inside as well, food, water, plants, rocks, climbing toys, shade).
But he's been so healthy and happy outside of an enclosure that I decided to let him be.

HOWEVER, if you think that could detriment his health I will make him one.
It’s definitely recommended to go with a t5 UV strip, I personally recommend the aricadia t5 12%, the conical UV bulbs are notorious for not giving out enough UV and can actually damage their eyes, which may have possibly been the cause of this(though that’s obviously not certain, it could be a small injury)the strip bulbs cover a much larger surface area, the UV is definitely important for them to have, it’s helps their body process vitamins and ensure healthy growth, lack of UV can eventually lead to MBD(metabolic bone disease)people on here recommend around 4hrs a day on a timer, though some tort owners go all the way up to 12hrs, personally I think that’s overkill. But either way he’ll definitely need access during the day.
As for him free roaming, it’s unfortunately really not recommended for them to free roam 24/7 in your house, there’s so many things that can become a hazard outside of an enclosure, especially if you’re unable to watch him at all times, there’s also no way of constantly monitoring the ground temps, and the amount of uv he’s receiving is being limited when he’s out of his set up, he’d only be able to get uv in an uncovered outdoor enclosure if your climate is safe for that, of course providing shady spots still.
If you are able to set up a sizeable indoor enclosure with the appropriate lighting and heat that would be best for your guy, 8x4ft is the ideal size for them, but just go as big as you possibly can, the bigger it is, hopefully the less he’ll be wanting to constantly get out, it’s not to say you can’t still let him roam for a bit when closely supervised😊

WalnutWordsworth

Karachi
It's hard to tell from the pictures. As long as he's eating and otherwise acting normal, I'd just assume he's bumped the eye or scratched the lid with his foot or something minor. Next time you're at a pet store (or look for it on Amazon) pick up a container of Veterycin eye ointment. It's a good thing to have in your Tortoise First Aid Kit.
Thank you so so much. We don't have amazon in ny country and pet stores only have cat and dog supplies generally. I'll try to assemble a kit.

WalnutWordsworth

Karachi
It’s definitely recommended to go with a t5 UV strip, I personally recommend the aricadia t5 12%, the conical UV bulbs are notorious for not giving out enough UV and can actually damage their eyes, which may have possibly been the cause of this(though that’s obviously not certain, it could be a small injury)the strip bulbs cover a much larger surface area, the UV is definitely important for them to have, it’s helps their body process vitamins and ensure healthy growth, lack of UV can eventually lead to MBD(metabolic bone disease)people on here recommend around 4hrs a day on a timer, though some tort owners go all the way up to 12hrs, personally I think that’s overkill. But either way he’ll definitely need access during the day.
As for him free roaming, it’s unfortunately really not recommended for them to free roam 24/7 in your house, there’s so many things that can become a hazard outside of an enclosure, especially if you’re unable to watch him at all times, there’s also no way of constantly monitoring the ground temps, and the amount of uv he’s receiving is being limited when he’s out of his set up, he’d only be able to get uv in an uncovered outdoor enclosure if your climate is safe for that, of course providing shady spots still.
If you are able to set up a sizeable indoor enclosure with the appropriate lighting and heat that would be best for your guy, 8x4ft is the ideal size for them, but just go as big as you possibly can, the bigger it is, hopefully the less he’ll be wanting to constantly get out, it’s not to say you can’t still let him roam for a bit when closely supervised😊
He actually is with me 24/7, including at work (I work hybrid) and on holiday. I'll definitely look into swapping out the light. We thank you so much.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
He actually is with me 24/7, including at work (I work hybrid) and on holiday. I'll definitely look into swapping out the light. We thank you so much.
I still think most members would recommend he have an enclosure to ensure all his environmental needs are being met and you’ll be able to monitor them a lot easier, but it’s good to hear you keep a constant eye on him, there’s been too many horror stories when it comes to tortoise being able to free roam, constant supervision is vital.
No problem at all, any more questions, ask away, always lots of lovely folk to answer on here🙂

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

HOWEVER, if you think that could be detrimental his health I will make him one.
These conical lamps may be harmful to eyes, but usually don't output noticeable UV after 6 months of use.
If you can make him some outdoor space (like a mini-garden on the balcony or fenced space in the real yard), he will get enough natural sunlight and you won't need a UVB lamp.

I won't judge you for him not having an enclosure. It's just a huge risk for him to roam in the shared space with humans (tortoises eat wrong things from the floor like screws, hair or needles, get stuck behind radiators and fridges and under the furniture and can be hit by door, stepped upon, pushed and so on and so on). Also it's not healthy as floors are usually cold and walking on slippery floors is bad for their joints.

If you can make him his own space this simply would be a safer and more healthy option. The truth is that they need a lot of space (like 32 sq.ft.). You can work around this with L-shaped or double-level enclosure. Also, a hamster wheel may work for him.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Also, I just washed his face with clean water, and for a minute his eye seemed better. I'm starting to think maybe it's a cut and it's oozing? The eye looks the same as the picture again.
It may be some small injury. Using tap water is not really good idea (it's either chlorinated or might have bacteria). Use only sterile solutions for flushing to prevent accidental eye infection.

WalnutWordsworth

Karachi
These conical lamps may be harmful to eyes, but usually don't output noticeable UV after 6 months of use.
If you can make him some outdoor space (like a mini-garden on the balcony or fenced space in the real yard), he will get enough natural sunlight and you won't need a UVB lamp.

I won't judge you for him not having an enclosure. It's just a huge risk for him to roam in the shared space with humans (tortoises eat wrong things from the floor like screws, hair or needles, get stuck behind radiators and fridges and under the furniture and can be hit by door, stepped upon, pushed and so on and so on). Also it's not healthy as floors are usually cold and walking on slippery floors is bad for their joints.

If you can make him his own space this simply would be a safer and more healthy option. The truth is that they need a lot of space (like 32 sq.ft.). You can work around this with L-shaped or double-level enclosure. Also, a hamster wheel may work for him.
So he's never on the floor, always on furniture, and I make sure he doesn't fall off. And then he has his little cushions and "decorations" that are all non-scratchy. He has a corner on my desk, on my bed, and for car rides he has a net carrier that's shaped like a cube.
I have an emergency collapsible thing to put him in if I can't take him somewhere. But he's my child so I suppose it's time to build him a den.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you all so much for your help I feel so much calmer. I'll be monitoring and hopefully we'll see an improvement soon :)
Any more advice is SUPER welcome
Please keep us updated!

This post is a good starting point on tortoise care: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/ (perhaps, you have seen more than once already)

And any questions are welcome, e.g. on planning his enclosure, getting proper lightning and heating and so on.

WalnutWordsworth

Karachi
Update: behaviour still normal, eating and pooping fine. Eye a little less red, but still seems a bit puffy. Other eye normal. Picture attached.Screenshot_20240420_060250_Video Player.jpg