Red Foot and lighting/heating

Disund420

Location (City and/or State)
Farmingdale
Good morning. I am still new here and just trying to make sure I give my red foot what she needs. I have read almost everything about their enclosures and lighting/heating. I have made changes and want to make sure what I have done is correct. I have put CHE’s instead of the harsh spot light bulbs. The only light is the uvb tube bulb. They say they don’t like bright lights. The uvb bulb is on for about 12 hours. The temp on one side of the enclosure is 85 and the other side 82. Does the red foot need to have more of a lower end, or a constant temp? Also, should the temp go down at night? Does it need to? Could it remain constant for her? Thanks for any info. I hope I am explaining this correctly.

TheWaveCarver

New York
My temp gradient is from 83-87 (Daytime) to 80-82C (Nightime). I do not have a designated basking spot. My light fixtures are as follows....
  • 100W CHE connected to thermostat set for 85 (Middle of enclosure)
  • 60W CHE connected to same thermostat set for 85 (Placed on one end of the enclosure, the hot end)
  • 6500k 46inch T5 HO with Reflector (Middle of enclosure)
  • Arcadia 12% 46inch T5 HO with Reflector (Placed up against the 6500k)
The 6500k T5 runs for 12 hours. I have enough coverage in the enclosure to create a lower light setting around the perimeter of the enclosure. I believe your UVB should be closer to running only 2-4 hours per day (Ideally around noon to simulate the real world). I would not recommend running the UVB all day long as this might create too much light as well as burn the bulb out quicker.

TheWaveCarver

New York
Alright, quick add-on since I wanted to collect some extra information. I have a Solarmeter 6.5, it's truly the best way to make sure your lil'guy is getting proper amounts of UVB. It's pricey so not every owner can immediately afford one unfortunately. That being said I would try to get your UVI (UVI is the number the Solarmeter spits out) between 2-5. Once the bulb reads lower than 2 UVI you should replace the bulb. I suppose you could move it closer to the substrate but I would recommend replacing it since I remember hearing somewhere (maybe someone can confirm this) that the lights begin to output unevenly. Maybe @Tom or @ZEROPILOT can weigh in with their thoughts on UVB.

Edit: I realize I got side tracked on the UVB. Regarding your original question, I don't think its necessary for the temperature to reduce during the night but I dont believe it would hurt either. The temperature should never go below 78C however, any colder and you risk the tortoise getting sick.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Alright, quick add-on since I wanted to collect some extra information. I have a Solarmeter 6.5, it's truly the best way to make sure your lil'guy is getting proper amounts of UVB. It's pricey so not every owner can immediately afford one unfortunately. That being said I would try to get your UVI (UVI is the number the Solarmeter spits out) between 2-5. Once the bulb reads lower than 2 UVI you should replace the bulb. I suppose you could move it closer to the substrate but I would recommend replacing it since I remember hearing somewhere (maybe someone can confirm this) that the lights begin to output unevenly. Maybe @Tom or @ZEROPILOT can weigh in with their thoughts on UVB.

Edit: I realize I got side tracked on the UVB. Regarding your original question, I don't think its necessary for the temperature to reduce during the night but I dont believe it would hurt either. The temperature should never go below 78C however, any colder and you risk the tortoise getting sick.
A T5 puts out a little less UVB over time. And with a SOLARMETER, lowering it can extend the lights useful life. That 12% Arcadia is powerful. And should be a great candidate.
This would eventually offsetting the cost of the meter.

Disund420

Farmingdale
Thank you so much! I will look into the solar meter. If I can’t get one right away, I will get one soon enough. The enclosure does drop a few degrees at night due to the heat in the house being turned down at night. She is in the living room. Just wanted to make sure she didn’t need a lower drop in temperature at night. And thanks about the uvb. I will set the timer for shorter. Unless Tom thinks it is needed for longer. Thanks again

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you so much! I will look into the solar meter. If I can’t get one right away, I will get one soon enough. The enclosure does drop a few degrees at night due to the heat in the house being turned down at night. She is in the living room. Just wanted to make sure she didn’t need a lower drop in temperature at night. And thanks about the uvb. I will set the timer for shorter. Unless Tom thinks it is needed for longer. Thanks again
Some reptiles, such as Chameleons require a drop in temperature at night.
Tortoises do not.
However, a few degrees is fine.
That 12% tube is more powerful than most tortoises require. Ideally a Redfoot should have a 6% (or 5.0)
I would suggest a height of 20"and possibly just using it for a few hours a day.
You can use a regular florescent light or a strip LED for regular lighting if you wish
Either will provide light that isn't too bright. Plus not ad any heat

Last edited:

Disund420

Farmingdale
I have a 5.0. Thank you. I will look for a regular fluorescent for lighting and save the UVB for just a few hours. Thanks again!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have a 5.0. Thank you. I will look for a regular fluorescent for lighting and save the UVB for just a few hours. Thanks again!
The 5.0 is ideal and safe to use for 12 hours a day.
I thought we were talking about the 12%.