Red foot enclosure questions

Sublimeserpents

Ok so, as with all other aspects of the reptile comunity, there's alot of conflicting information on tortoise housing. Opinions aside what are the facts of airflow, open top tables, enclosed cages.... I've read alot that torts NEED alot of airflow( respritory issues from ammonia and stale air), yet the most successful hatchling setups are closed chambers; but I've read no mention as to wether or not the closed chamber setup is ideal for adult of juvi. Or even just enclosed top cages. So what are the FACTS?

And what about the commercially available plastic cages ( animal plastics, vision cage, neodeshas) are they appropriate for housing torts

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are many ways to raise most species. With a RF, they need high humidity, but a dry top layer of substrate, as they are more prone to shell rot then most others. A closed top is usually preferred for high humidity species, as it helps to keep humidity and heat steady. The closed chambers is usually used until around two years of age, then a humid hide is provided. The illnesses you speak of is usually due to being kept too cold and wet. One of the big RF breeders on here is @N2TORTS maybe he will be able to give you a couple tips.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have my adult reds in a closed chamber right now for winter . Like said above you have to keep it warm and humid.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
A lot of airflow? Or do you mean something like a constant exchange of fresh air? I would think that a lot of airflow (ie. breezes, wind) would cool things down a bit or too much. Some people warn owners against allowing their torts to free roam the house with a reason of possible cold drafts on the ground level.

I can't state any facts.. just my own experiences, but I built an open topped table for my reds to grow into. I cover the whole thing with plastic dropcloth during the winters when it's a lot colder and drier. It's not completely air tight, is heavily planted with houseplants (which are excellent in cleaning air pollutants), and is opened for "fresher" air whenever I clean the enclosure/feed/water.

As for the plastic containers.. Honestly, I'd use whatever is at hand as long as it doesn't leak water and is as large as my room allows. Heck, if I could pour tons of dirt in half of my house and have the roof be made of glass, me and my torts would be in heaven (in an ideal world without bugs coming inside and multiplying profusely).

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Lots of good info from above statements. For smaller torts kept within cold climates a " closed chamber works well". One thing overlooked or not talked about much ....is the overall humidity in your home (if this is where you plan to keep your torts) . Same with so called " cold drafts" ...if kept near a window (and I can picture that - for folks trying to capture natural sunlight) but again that means you have some shoddy windows and a cold house! For myself ALL the adults live outdoors -but are brought in within a tortoise house (much nicer than apartments I used to live in <grin>) every night. The Nursery is in the " Human" house along with the incubator and perhaps a different specie or two. With that said .....as the folks mentioned above ....keep your temps up and humidity and or "often sprays" within your setup . I might bring this up now as another not much talked about way of keeping your room-basement-or where ever you plan to keep your tort/s is using a warm air humidifier , the same type Mom use to use in the old days when we had a cold.....folks 45 and above will remember them things ....;) There is no need for some mumbo jumbo "Herp Mister" . You can even "pipe in" warm humid air if you happen to use a enclosed chamber - set on a timer ......and Wa ~La .....

JD~:)

Sublimeserpents

The inquiry on airflow have come from, quite a few, sources of info from the web that state a requirement for "airflow" to prevent RI. I keep mostly high humidity pythons and know that the old school thinking was similar; but we know better now. So I wanted to know if these statements have any basis in fact. From the sounds of things they don't.

I currently have the little guy in an open top x mas tub with organic soil mixed with repti bark and sphagnum moss on top; humid and dry hide aswell as a water bowl large enough to sit in but shallow enough to not drown if he were to filp .

He came to me unexpectedly so all the help is much appreciated. I will be switching to a plastic cage that my female jampea retic out grew until I build him a more permeant winter home. And adding a dry layer on top( cypress mulch or leaf litter?)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
There are those who say that reds must be kept on dry substrate. I spray the crap outta mine and haven't had any issues with rot or fungus. Maybe I'm one of the lucky few. I know @Turtlepete hasn't had any issues with moist substrate. Sphagnum moss is acidic enough that it inhibits fungal problems (just from what I've read); I constantly pile on the sphagnum in my enclosure. You can always add cypress or leaf litter, too. The choices are endless. You can always make a hodgepodge of substrates so that your redfoot can decide what he likes best.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Not cleaning the enclosure good enough will help with going fungus that causes shell rot . Keep the enclosure clean and the tortoise. Use soaking time to check tort and enclosure daily .

Sublimeserpents

I'm a reptilian hypochondriac so cleanliness will not be an issue. How many of you, or people on here, go full on bioactive enclosure(live dirt, leaves from outside, wood mites, springtails, worms, etc...)? Ill stick with a dry hide to escape the moisture if he'd like. I refer to him as a he but if i had to guess id say female; who would be the best to ask for sexing opinion? And locality guesses?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
How big is the tort? Post pictures of the tail and underside .

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
bacterial/fungal/viral infection....
Bacterial infections are all a common problem in pet and wild turtles and tortoises. Many of the infections can be avoided with good sanitation, housing, and nutrition. Fortunately, with prompt diagnosis and treatment almost all of these common infections can be effectively treated

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I have plenty of springtails, gnats, etc in my medium. Seems to me that when you create favorable conditions (warm and moist) and mix in plants and tropical species, you'll always have bugs. That's when ya bust out the carnivorous plants :D

And I'm with @mike taylor . Post pics and someone should be able to help out with gender and locale. Kinda harder with locales, though. They tend to get blended together over time.

Sublimeserpents

image.jpg Here's the pic I got of him before he was dropped off; I know he's very dry. I'm in the process of fixing that, he's gotten soaks everyday and his humidity is currently at 60% 5 inches above the substrate and 84% in the humid hide. And I've been spraying his food before I offer it to him(not sure that's actually doing anything but worth a shot).

I'm hoping that all future growth will be smooth and no progression of the pyramiding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 12

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Aww.. beautiful guy/gal. I'm terrible with playing the gender guessing game. I'm still trying to figure out the best criteria to judge by, but it seems like reds just wanna confuse the crap outta me. At least we can rule out that your red isn't a cherryhead :p

Sublimeserpents

I didn't think he was but he was presented to me as a cherry head. Cool I'd like a larger tort anyway.lol.

It's a strange feeling starting back at the bottom with a new(to me) group of herps. I'm used to being the one with the answers. But you guys are being great and I have a feeling I'm gonna be around this site for awhile. Besides I've been putting off getting torts for too long. Hatchling redfoot and Hermanns are next on the list but.... I've got alot of projects going on so probably not going to be anytime soon.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Looks to be a Northern variety .....:)
They usually will have a "type " of hour glass or brownish triangle shape/coloring on the plastron. (which I think I can see in your pic)

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
I have my adult reds in a closed chamber right now for winter . Like said above you have to keep it warm and humid.
I'm trying to build a "closed chamber" for my adult cherryheads... do you mind attaching a pic of yours so I can get some ideas?