Red Foot Tortoise Plant Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
Hi all. I'm trying to add a couple of live plants to my indoor enclosure (red foot tortoise). I have seen some nice lists put together but when I go to Home Depot or Lowe's, I can not find any of the edible plants that are on the lists.

What are some basic plants that are good for an indoor red foot tortoise enclosure that I will be able to find at any gardening store?

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
Thank you Yvonne! And do you recommend just keeping them in the pot?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. I like to have enough substrate that I can bury the pot ALMOST up to the lip. Leaving a bit of the pot showing sort of protects the plant from the tortoises.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
With a redfoot a potho vine would work, too. Even some of the succulents (depending on exactly how your enclosure is set up) might make it too. Have you thought of just buying some seeds and growing them, then putting the pots in once they are well started? Then start the next round so you can replace as needed. Usually it's much cheaper.

Kasper2reds

5 Year Member
Kasper2reds said:
I use pothos and spider plants. They love I hide

They love to hide and
Nibble
5538e36d.jpg

e63787a6.jpg

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
Jacqui said:
With a redfoot a potho vine would work, too. Even some of the succulents (depending on exactly how your enclosure is set up) might make it too. Have you thought of just buying some seeds and growing them, then putting the pots in once they are well started? Then start the next round so you can replace as needed. Usually it's much cheaper.

I haven't though of doing that but that sounds like a good idea and also might be kind of fun. Thank you!

Kasper2reds said:
Kasper2reds said:
I use pothos and spider plants. They love I hide

They love to hide and
Nibble
5538e36d.jpg

e63787a6.jpg

Those look great!! I bet they love hiding in and around those things. I will for sure pick some of those up this week that's what I had in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.