Red footed and yellow footed tortoises

Mr.pacheco

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
And will order the substrate and the UV light and thanks for telling me that UV is the same thing as uvb thanks a lot for all the help will look over it and make some changes bye the way for his hiddey hut is it ok if I use a storage bin and cut a hole out so he can walk in it

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I got some watermelon strawberries blueberries and raspberries
Awesome! Don’t worry if your guy doesn’t chow down right away as they’re new! Some things can take them a while to get used to if they’ve not had them before, they might refuse at first, but keep offering them and the other fruits we mentioned, they’ll love it!😁

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
And will order the substrate and the UV light and thanks for telling me that UV is the same thing as uvb thanks a lot for all the help will look over it and make some changes bye the way for his hiddey hut is it ok if I use a storage bin and cut a hole out so he can walk in it
Brilliant! Keep us updated on your progress if you can, I love seeing/hearing what people do with their enclosures🥰
Yes that will work great for a hide! Just make sure it isn’t transparent so they go in there to get some shade time if they want to😊

We’re always here to help, so any further questions at any point, please ask🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I’d get yourself some cheap pond liner too as your switching to appropriate substrate now, it’ll protect the bottom of your enclosure👍🏻

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
Thanks so much and also will order that bulb you sent me thanks again and will come to you guys when I have a question

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
Sorry one more question was looking at the bulb and it’s said 3.33 pounds somthing like that anyway could I still buy it here in the United States

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Sorry one more question was looking at the bulb and it’s said 3.33 pounds somthing like that anyway could I still buy it here in the United States
Yes you can still buy that brand in the US, I’ve read many American members use it🙂 just type in ‘Arcadia t5 12%’ and it should come for you on where you can buy it online in your location

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
I need help again I think you guys told me this but how am I supposed to keep humidity in there am sorry just forgot how

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I need help again I think you guys told me this but how am I supposed to keep humidity in there am sorry just forgot how
To maintain your humidity, pour some lukewarm water into the corners of the substrate, not loads, just enough to have the bottom layer nice and damp and the top layer dry. To stop the top layer getting a little too dry, mix the substrate now n then which will also give a humidity boost🙂you shouldn’t have to do it too often, just keep an eye on your monitors(get something that measures your humidity)and check your substrate to do the pours as and when needed😊

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
Thanks for reminding me I do have a gage that can track both humidity and heat again thanks and could you say how often

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
Because I live at 2 houses my moms and dads thankfully my older sister feeds and takes care of him but will it last for a couple of days so I don’t have to pay her anymore money because she will ask for more work😅

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thanks for reminding me I do have a gage that can track both humidity and heat again thanks and could you say how often
No problem, that’s good, could be a good idea to get a temp gun too, just to make sure your gauges are reading correctly, you can buy them pretty cheap, always comes in handy🙂

How often will depend on your set up, I can see from your photos it’s a closed chamber design, so theoretically, you won’t have to do them often, it will definitely last more than a few days! just check the lower layer each week, look at your monitors and determine if a pour is needed, you should be seeing condensate on the walls🙂
We personally do a light pour every 10 days or so, but every set up is different so just check your levels and make sure the lower layer isn’t dry😊

COmtnLady

Colorado
Welcome to the forum! You've found the place with the most up-to-date info on care of tortoises.
Ignore what the rest of the internet, social, and pet stores say. They either are running on OLD info that isn't right, or trying to sell you something. (Ask here before you buy things for your Tortoise. it will save you a lot of money.)

We end up answering the same questions from so many people that we usually ask you to read this first:

A closed chamber (one with a complete lid that keeps heat and humidity in) is very good, and it looks like you have just that!

NO misters or sprayers. Red Foot need humidity, but misters/sprayers just get things wet. If the tortoise breathes the water particulates all the time it will end up with respiratory problems.

You need 3-4 inches of moist patted down coco coir as a base AND three or so inches of dry orchid bark/fir bark on top of that. I never mix my layers.
When the humidity goes down a little pour a glass or so (depending on the size of your habitat - check your humidity meter to figure out how much is enough) into the corners only, not on the main surface of bark,
NO SAND, NO MOSS, NO POTTING SOIL

Red Foot need 80F/27C degrees or a little warmer, and 80% or a bit more humidity - all the time.

They also need to be on dry surfaces so that they don't get fungal problems. If your enclosure is too wet, it can also have mold problems. It is a delicate balance between great humidity and too wet.

Your tortoise needs to soak. As an adult, at least a half hour every other day, in about an inch to two inches of warm water. They do NOT need deeper than that as they are not good swimmers. Keep an eye on the temperature of the soaking water, it will cool down quickly, plus they like to go potty in it, so it will need to be changed/refreshed a few times each soak.

I didn't see in your pics if you have a water dish in your habitat. Your Tortoise should have a new clean terracotta saucer, the kind flower pots stand on to catch the water that runs out of the bottom of the plant. Sink it down into the top layer of bark so it is easy to walk into and out of. It needs to be big enough that he can walk in it and turn around. Do NOT use an old one that has had plants drain onto it; some of the chemicals in fertilizer can soak into the terracotta and aren't good for animals. It will need to be kept clean because they drink from it too, but mine sits in hers a lot. The dishes they try to sell you at pet stores are not good, don't use them (especially with very young tortoises, who can't get out of, or have any chance of turning themselves upright if they get tipped over.)

Most of your tortoise's food should be green leafy plants. Red Foot also love fruit (which is bad for other species), and edible flowers (check the list). The amount should be about the same size as their shell. Put it in once a day and leave it until the next day's feeding. They like to eat some then come back again later. Once or twice per week put a pinch of Repti-Cal (powdered calcium) on it - no need to do more or more often, but do keep a cuttlebone in the habitat (like is put in a bird cage) so that it is readily available all the time.

Keep asking questions.

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
That’s basically what the other guys said I found everything they wanted me to get and I am ordering it but again thanks

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
Also you said somthing about the water dish is is plenty big for him he can turn around easily he can access it pretty easily I use a rock as a ramp to get him up in the water