Red foots

Soco71

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County NY
Hello again sorry about all the questions but Im looking to purchase a second maybe a third tortoise and just trying to research and get as much input as possible on different species. How much animal protein should you give a redfoot and how offten?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I feed my Redfoots Pro Plan Weight Management " chicken" rehydrated cat food weekly. I mix some fruit in with it.

This is what the breeder " Terry" does, from Turtletary.com.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I ad a little Nutro dry dog food, wetted and added to Mazuri about twice a month.
Why Nutro? It's what I have on hand for my puppy.
They also eat a boiled egg or two about once a month.

Soco71

Orange County NY
I ad a little Nutro dry dog food, wetted and added to Mazuri about twice a month.
Why Nutro? It's what I have on hand for my puppy.
They also eat a boiled egg or two about once a month.
Would the Mazuri tortoise diet 2 or 3 times a month be enough protein or do you recommend still mixing it with the puppy food?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I actually don't recommend the puppy food over chicken or shrimp or even pinkies.
It's just what I use. It works for me.
I'm not sure that the Mazuri has a lot of protein in it. I do know that I've read that some people have fed it almost exclusively.
Others don't use it at all.
Vary your diet. Mix it up and you'll do well.

Soco71

Orange County NY
I actually don't recommend the puppy food over chicken or shrimp or even pinkies.
It's just what I use. It works for me.
I'm not sure that the Mazuri has a lot of protein in it. I do know that I've read that some people have fed it almost exclusively.
Others don't use it at all.
Vary your diet. Mix it up and you'll do well.
Thanks you have been very helpful!

Soco71

Orange County NY
i use tuna wild caught packaged in water about twice a month. works good for me and he seems to like it
I think I'm going with the Cherry head red foot but I have read that they don't require as much protein as the regular red foot , is this true?

naturalman91

10 Year Member!
Medford Oregon
I think I'm going with the Cherry head red foot but I have read that they don't require as much protein as the regular red foot , is this true?

i don't keep cherries only northern's i know cherry males can be quite aggressive housed together so it's best to everyone to have they're own enclosure to be the king of they're own castle i've read stories of 2 redfoots kept together and one ate the other's foot and part of the tail

the care is identical they're the same species someone just coined the name cherryhead because of how colorful they were from a certain location they're technically nothing different about them and some people claim they're a "dwarf" species of redfoot it's not true they can reach the same size if not bigger doesn't mean they will but it happens commonly i believe @N2TORTS has a pretty big "cherryhead"

cherry heads are brazilian if im thinking straight and northern's are typically from Guyana,venezuela,suriname,guiana those arent the only places they're found just off the top of my head i believe they're also found in peru and ecuador and colombia