red foots

Status
Not open for further replies.

double_4t_32

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hello, my name is Tyler. I am new to the forum but would like to share my tortoises to the world of fellow tortoise enthusiasts. I currently have 5 red foots (2.1.2) among others. The two 9 inch tortoises are males (tank and boscoe), the 11 inch female is Betty and the two 4.5-5 inch youngsters (Charlie and sheen). I have 6 years of red foot experience and have kept various turtles and tortoises for several years. Please excuse the photo, I just gave boscoe and sheen their weekly baths. I recently put the two males with the female and have been pleased with their active breeding. I have waited a long time for this, but I wanted to gather the most knowledge possible before breeding. Hopefully all goes as planned. I'll be sure to keep you posted!
2012-08-12_13-18-01_311.jpg2012-08-12_13-17-51_779.jpg2012-08-16_13-04-13_369.jpg2012-08-12_13-17-47_30.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Welcome! Im newish and have one red foot. I might be asking you for some advice! :)

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Welcome! I can't help you out with the breeding, but you have some very beautiful torts.

double_4t_32

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thank you! The red foots are the best pets I've ever had. Mine act just like dogs, running up wanting to have their head rubbed and hand fed. All of them have a different personality. I'm not an expert but I would be glad to help if I can.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :). You have some really nice torts there. There are a few experienced RF owners here that will be able to help with the breeding. They should be along eventually.

double_4t_32

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thank you. I'm considering broadening my horizon with a Burmese black tortoise. Keeping tortoises is an addiction!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome! To what would you like to know about redfoot breeding? Theyre pretty easy. Redfoots being found in savanas in South/Central America, are use to very soft, moist, and fertile soil. SO they wont typical spend too much time diggin if they dont have a good nice nesting site. Usually its wise to dig up the corners of the enclosure they kept in. and replace the soil with a nice easy to unearth substrate. Peat moss, spagnum moss mixed with top soil even a little sand mixed in usually works well. The eggs will sometimes be laid in clucthes of 4-6 eggs, sometimes however they will lay 1-2 eggs at a time, if they arent satisfied with diggin conditions. If this happens you will more than likely see sometimes an egg a day for a week, or just an egg every so often until they complete their cycle.

double_4t_32

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio
I live in Ohio so I have to keep them inside during the colder months. The indoor enclosure is peat moss and cypress mulch 50/50, with hay inside one hide and sphagnum moss in the other. I keep the temperature around 86° on the warm side and around 80° on the cooler side. They love running around the cage exploring (especially during their daily misting). I have done a lot of research and studying and I think i'm ready. Thank you for all your help!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I would remove the hay. Hay will mold, and very fast when water is added. I would boost your hot side to low 90's and add some plants for that "I feel secure" added affect and physical good looks too. Mine always tend to lay in december-january when housed inside. but will continue to lay all the way through to march and april. Just have to keep a good log of whenever your females start their egg cycle. usually they will start and keep it pretty clockwork annually from then on. Substrate seems good. I would make it pretty deep in the corners and add some leaves from deciduous trees once falls hits. A male will always breed its just a matter of your female hitting her egg cycle before she will develope and lay her eggs. Good luck.

jlb1077 said:
What is the best range of temps for an indoor enclosure

For a hatchling, juvenile, or adult? Typically they are going to be around the same, sometimes a little warmer for hatchlings to ensure they are alert and dont get too cold and start off badly. low to mid 90's on hot side and 82-86 on low side for a hatchling. High humidity of course, and good hiding spots. Lots of clean fresh water.

double_4t_32

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ok thanks. I change the hay frequently but that makes sense and is a good idea. I'll make sure to right down all the events so it will come easier next year. Thanks for all your help.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Hello Tyler ... " Welcome" ... GOOOOO REDDDS!:D

kamoopsipooh

5 Year Member
Hey there!

Just wondering what kind of weeds (are those weeds?) you got growing there. Looks like the stuff that grows on my lawn and I'm wondering if I should pull some of that stuff out of my lawn and start a patch in my torts' pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.