Redfoot basks daily

EddieMaher

Location (City and/or State)
MD
I was gonna remove the light but I find him under there multiple times a day.

Attachments

• 4787F2BA-0123-4B44-A8B0-E8367174F416.png
    4787F2BA-0123-4B44-A8B0-E8367174F416.png
    307.2 KB · Views: 5

EddieMaher

MD
I think that's because it's the warmest place in the enclosure.
It’s around 95 under that light. The rest is the enclosure sits around 85 with his hideaway at around 75. I have a reptile humidifier that keeps it around 70%.

He seems very happy. Eats very well.

EddieMaher

MD
If you close up the top of the enclosure you can eliminate the humidifier.
I have heavy duty aluminum foil and cardboard covering all the open spaces. That keep the enclosure around 70%. Without the humidifier I had to spray constantly.

I noticed his eyes were very watery when I got him. Since he’s been in this enclosure with proper humidity, his eyes looks so much better

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Did you try to pour water in substrate to maintain humidity? Usually that's more than enough to keep it over 80% for a week or so.

Redfoots may bask under the brighter lights from time to time, often in the morning and late afternoon. However, hot (95F+) basking spots aren't required.

In the wild their activity is reduced with temperatures outside the range of 69-84F. And they try to maintain core body temperature between 77-83F. At least that is what is mentioned in this paper and references.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have heavy duty aluminum foil and cardboard covering all the open spaces. That keep the enclosure around 70%. Without the humidifier I had to spray constantly.

I noticed his eyes were very watery when I got him. Since he’s been in this enclosure with proper humidity, his eyes looks so much better
If you pour the warm water in not spray, it will work for you without the humidifier which isn't good to use anyway.

EddieMaher

MD
If you pour the warm water in not spray, it will work for you without the humidifier which isn't good to use anyway.
Why isn’t the humidifier not good? That’s the only way to keep the humidity at adequate levels in my house.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why isn’t the humidifier not good? That’s the only way to keep the humidity at adequate levels in my house.
Not if you pour warm water into the corners of a closed chamber enclosure
First it has to be a warm air humidifier if it were safe. Second, even with it being warm air, by the time it reaches tort level it's cold mist your tort is breathing in.
With a closed chamber and making the lower substrate damp, leaving the top dryer, it will hold the humidity needed, as long as it's a closed chamber. This way it helps to keeps the RF from getting shell rot while raising and holding the humidity. You then should only have to add more water once a week or maybe two weeks or more, only you would know by seeing when the humidity drops.

CanOfCorn

Southern California
I read on a ball python forum that it’s because the humidifier can harbor mold spores and bacteria which is then turned into fine mist that your pet is breathing in. It can cause respiratory infections apparently.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Ultrasonic humidifiers, unless you use distilled water, leave nasty calcium dust. Wet substrate surface may cause shell fungus (redfoots are prone to it). And so on. Some types of humidifiers are safer than others (warm type). And you may use humidifier to raise ambient humidity in the room with open top enclosures, though.

With a "closed chamber" enclosure humidifier is totally redundant. Here is the graph from my RF enclosure, dips on graph are when doors were open. I poured water in substrate (cypress mulch) maybe a week or two ago, no humidfier/fogger/myster is used.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240415-072023.png
    Screenshot_20240415-072023.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 1