Redfoot eating cuttle-bone

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
I always have a couple in various spots in my enclosures. There are some online stores that sell it in 1lb boxes for about $10, or 5lb for low to mid $40's. Just google bulk cuttle bone.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yeah,mine too! If I always put it in the enclosures, they ignore it. So I take it away, after a few weeks, i put it back again, they start eating.
Mine live outdoors.
The cuttlebone get nasty pretty fast. I throw away dozens per year

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Very nice. Good way tortoises can get extra calcium when they are feeling low on calcium. I've had tortoises never eat them and I've had some eat a bunch in one sitting

Kyle

Dorely

Texas
Can you give them any cuttle bone? Turtle cuttle? Or bird cuttle? Which one do you guys recommend? Asking for my baby Sulcatas.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Can you give them any cuttle bone? Turtle cuttle? Or bird cuttle? Which one do you guys recommend? Asking for my baby Sulcatas.
Cuttlebone is the bone of the cuttlefish. Most commonly, and cheaply, you will find it in the bird aisle of your pet store. Having a picture of a tortoise on the packaging normally increases the price :rolleyes:

Don't be tempted by coloured or flavoured ones that seem to be emerging in pet stores. Plain natural white is what you need :)

Dorely

Texas
Cuttlebone is the bone of the cuttlefish. Most commonly, and cheaply, you will find it in the bird aisle of your pet store. Having a picture of a tortoise on the packaging normally increases the price :rolleyes:

Don't be tempted by coloured or flavoured ones that seem to be emerging in pet stores. Plain natural white is what you need :)
Great! I purchased one today! Thank you for the advice. One more thing, do I just put it in their enclosure as is? Or does it have to be moistened?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Rinse it under the tap to be sure it’s clean, dry it off and then throw it in.

Don’t be surprised if your tortoise ignores it or pretends it’s a surf board. They can ignore it for weeks/months and then devour it in one go or not at all.

T