Redfoot enclosure help

snowflake123

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I got a redfoot and I am panicking about the enclosure. I know that 4x8 is recommended but I'm wondering if I can get away with something smaller since he will only be inside for only a few months a year. I'm in Arkansas so outdoors is good until winter. Outside he will have something huge built.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I got a redfoot and I am panicking about the enclosure. I know that 4x8 is recommended but I'm wondering if I can get away with something smaller since he will only be inside for only a few months a year. I'm in Arkansas so outdoors is good until winter. Outside he will have something huge built.
I keep one RF and he's in a minigreenhouse to control the heat and create lots of humidity...DSCN1708.JPGin my opinion if he's in a smaller enclosure for 2 to 4 months every year and after a while he will/could have poop problems from not getting enuf exercise..this is 6'x2.5'DSCN2050.JPG

snowflake123

Arkansas
Or basically a really large entertainment center since under my mounted TV is the best place I have

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Or basically a really large entertainment center since under my mounted TV is the best place I have
Anything wooden will probably fail due to the high humidity you'll need.
YOU CAN lay down some pond liner or an extra thick shower curtain and pile up your substrate on top of that.
(Use Orchid bark) But you'll need to be able to close the top and create a "closed chamber enclosure". Otherwise you'll drive yourself insane trying to regulate the humidity and keeping the temperature right in that sweet spot of between 80 and 86. (82-84 is what I consider perfect.)
My Redfoot live outside 24/7 here in south Florida. But I really like the setup that @Maggie3fan has posted. Apparently they're on Amazon and not at all expensive

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The green house is sitting on what was a wooden tort table, there's a shower curtain liner stapled to the sides covering the bottom...DSCN2331.JPGthis is how humid it isDSCN2330.JPG

snowflake123

Arkansas
This is what I had when I got him. It's fine for now I'm just trying to figure out what to do when he's full grown and skip to the last stage of enclosure I will need.

Attachments

• IMG_20240201_090120318_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240201_090120318_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240201_090134379_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240201_090134379_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!

In 3-4 years you can expect him to grow up to 6-7 inches. From my limited experience with a single redfoot, at that size 6x3 feet enclosure feels "tight" for them: with a hide, a couple of plants, water and feeding dishes there will be not much space to roam.

In 8-10 years redfoots can be 12-14 inches long and I feel that even a 4x8 feet will work only as a "motel style" enclosure.

Where I live, climate permits "sun rushes" outdoors every day - from 15 minutes to some hours. That helps my tortoise to keep shape and she freaks out when it's too cold and she has to stay indoors. So in a long-term, I would maximize the time she can stay outdoors with a heated shelter, maybe a greenhouse to keep humidity and temperatures higher. I'm also considering an outdoor shed (12x20 feet, probably), well-insulated and heated.

snowflake123

Arkansas
Okay. I have a dirt floor shed I think was previously used for chickens or something maybe 10 years ago. Maybe I can rig that into a really nice winter shed for him

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Sounds like a plan! Would be extremely cool if you will post updates from the "construction site"...