Redfoot Growth

El_cacique

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I’m exicited to say that one of my Redfoots, who I have gotten from a vendor near my area who really didn’t know how to take care of it, Which was really pyramided for a small tortoise, finally after almost 4 months of constant 95-85 degrees temps, and 70- 80% Humidity and a good diet have helped the pyramiding and help with new growth

To make it much more smoother but I don’t have an older picture but this is recent and there is a difference
IMG_3985.jpg

Wendy Proulx

Chesapeake VA
E2F83A6B-E2DC-4122-B995-BC8C14E04866.jpeg I also have a Cherry Head that I purchased with pyramiding. I have had him 2 months and he is growing well. I hope to have to same results you have had. Can a baby that was started wrong and adopted at 2 months ever completely loose the pyramiding? Or will it just get a little better over time?

El_cacique

Florida
View attachment 255645 I also have a Cherry Head that I purchased with pyramiding. I have had him 2 months and he is growing well. I hope to have to same results you have had. Can a baby that was started wrong and adopted at 2 months ever completely loose the pyramiding? Or will it just get a little better over time?

Well there was this other thread I saw, where it was a little confusing but there is no cure, but stopping Pyramiding and promoting good slow new growth which helps it become more smooth instead of being pyramided, and I think yes it can completely loose if it’s baby but I would ask the other Thread members, but cute Cherry head btw

Wendy Proulx

Chesapeake VA
Well there was this other thread I saw, where it was a little confusing but there is no cure, but stopping Pyramiding and promoting good slow new growth which helps it become more smooth instead of being pyramided, and I think yes it can completely loose if it’s baby but I would ask the other Thread members, but cute Cherry head btw
Thanks!! We love him to pieces and couldn’t leave him at the breeders just because he wasn’t perfect. We have a Redfoot and Yellowfoot as well that we’re started correctly and have no visible pyramiding at this time.

El_cacique

Florida
That’s great and I hope we all have smooth tortoises ! I currently have the redfoot that was shown here and two other redfoots, and one cherry head

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you get a baby that small and it is only slightly bumpy................
Then keep it in near ideal conditions for years...The pyramids will be less noticeable. But it'll never be perfectly smooth.
However, very few RF adults are fully smooth except some that are in the wild and in rare occasions with keepers that work very hard at their tortoise keeping.

El_cacique

Florida
@El_cacique
Are you in Dade county?
Do you have outdoors enclosures?
Just curious.

No I’m more around the Palm / Jupiter Bay Area , I actually have an outdoor enclosure but it’s more like a giant table, these are my first tortoises , but I have a closed indoor enclosure with a controlled setup. I was about to let them loose in the outdoor enclosure but cold snap got me worried with the occasional raccoon so I’ll play it safe for now :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
No I’m more around the Palm / Jupiter Bay Area , I actually have an outdoor enclosure but it’s more like a giant table, these are my first tortoises , but I have a closed indoor enclosure with a controlled setup. I was about to let them loose in the outdoor enclosure but cold snap got me worried with the occasional raccoon so I’ll play it safe for now :)
I'm in Broward and it is getting cooler.
My main issue this time of season is the drop in humidity. I compensate with an overhead "rain" system. Basically some small sprinkler heads on a PVC pipe.

El_cacique

Florida
I'm in Broward and it is getting cooler.
My main issue this time of season is the drop in humidity. I compensate with an overhead "rain" system. Basically some small sprinkler heads on a PVC pipe.

Hmmm have you tried putting some Moss In the outdoor enclosure? And sprinkled it around I know it isn’t much but it could hold and retain a little more humidity

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hmmm that’s a hard one :D, since you have the water and bunch of mulch. What type of mulch do you use? And is it mixed?
It's very old and broken down.
Its actually last winter's mulch. Grass has taken over.
I'll need to get another 7 or 8 bags. But my back is kind of out right now.