1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

redfoots growth

Discussion in 'Redfoot and yellowfoot tortoises' started by tstipp, Feb 24, 2018.

1. tstipp

tstipp New Member

Hi I have two redfoots in the same environment eating the same diet. one is growing well and the other is 2/3 size and pyramiding . I have taken the one with abnormal growth to the vet, had blood work etc.everything seems normal but growth.The one with the pyramiding "suns" herself under the heat/uv lamps ALL day.So now I built them an outdoor enclosure recently. But keep them inside at night. I don't know what is wrong since the other tortoise seems to be growing smoother and much more. help
  2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    The smaller size may be due to the fact that tortoises don't do good in pairs. One will bully the other. Not let them have the best spots, not let them have enough food, etc. separate them into their own enclosures. The one pyramiding, sitting under a hot light all day would be a good cause for the pyramiding. It might be the only spot it feels safe.
    Bullying can be obvious and then again not. Just the presence of another tortoise can be enough bullying to make the other tort not thrive.
    Melis likes this.
  3. tstipp

tstipp New Member

thank for your post, I think you are right. I separated them today .while outside by himself he was chilling in the hide...I am going to make a second enclosure for when I bring them inside for the night.ty
  4. Redstrike

Redstrike Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

I'd suspect bullying from the other. Their bullying can be subtle and ruthless.
    Good idea segregating them.