Redfoot seed recommendations for sandy Florida soil

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
Im also interested in this post. Ive seen "tortoise seeds" listed online, but....thats kind of vague!!! I live in Oregon myself. Some seeds seemed more suitable for a grazing tortoise like a sulcata.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I made frames with 4x4 lumber and mixed in bagged garden soil and cow manure/compost.
I grew the Carolina Supply Testudo mix.
It grew and grew really well.
In fact, it would STILL be growing if I hadn't removed the beds.

Adrian Tufton

5 Year Member
I made frames with 4x4 lumber and mixed in bagged garden soil and cow manure/compost.
I grew the Carolina Supply Testudo mix.
It grew and grew really well.
In fact, it would STILL be growing if I hadn't removed the beds.
Did your Redfoots like it???

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Did your Redfoots like it???
Oh, yeah.
I cut just the green tops off and the plants grew back over and over again. Like a never ending supply of greenery!
When I finally ripped out all of the plants by the root to get rid of the bed, I found some gigantic carrots and radishes and turnips, etc. Some of them mutant sized.
The seed packet seems small for the money. But BOY does it grow a lot of plants. I think I still have some left.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here in south Florida, grow hibiscus and feed the leaves and flowers. Grow spineless cactus. Grow purselane. Use fruit in season, especially mangoes.
You can almost always find a few different items to feed just in your yard or in your general area.
Also, have a big bag of Mazuri ready to supplement if you are running low that day.
I also, often toss in some dry dog food in with the Mazuri before I soak it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
"full sun, partial sun, and full shade areas. I'm not sure which will thrive, and which my future Redfoots will like best."

Your Redfoot will like full sun in the morning. Then partial only. They will hide in the plants to avoid the bright light.
Plan your enclosure with this in mind.

Adrian Tufton

5 Year Member
I appreciate the advice. I'll definitely pick up some of the Testudo mix, and get it going once
this inclement weather blows over. We have one hibiscus in the yard. I need to learn how
to plant cuttings from it. That or I'll need to buy some, depending on how long they take
to grow. I have an extremely large peruvian apple cactus, but I'm not sure if it's safe for
a Redfoot. We also have aloe plants, which may or may not be safe for Redfoots.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Aloe is safe, but not often eaten.
Hibiscus grow so quickly in the summer time, that just a few of them can be used for food a few times a week.
When I'm lazy...and that's often, I rip off a branch and just toss it into the pen and close the door. Then knock on the wall. That's the "FOOD TIME" noise.