Redfoot Tortoise Mouth

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
So I've noticed my tortoises beak is looking a bit unhealthy. Can you guys take a look at these pictures and let me know if this is just an overgrown beak or do you think something else is wrong? I fed her a banana 2 days ago, think it's just rotten banana?

Her mouth seems to be pink inside but she's not really cooperating with me

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 78
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 71
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 67

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Doesn't look like anything to be concerned about. I usually call that "poopy mouth". If it's not poop, the discoloration is probably all the green food stains turned brown. If you're concerned with a long beak, just feed on a slate tile or in a ceramic plant saucer (if you aren't doing so already).

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
As folks mentioned above not much of a problem at this point. But you will want to address it sometime soon to keep the beak from splitting ( as it seems chipped & wee bit long ) . Here is a helpful thread ....you may want to review.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66943.html

JD~:)

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thanks for the feedback, it makes me feel a lot better. I've been reading too much about mouth rot lately. I just bought a ceramic saucer for her food dish and scheduled a vet appointment to get her beak trimmed...I just don't feel comfortable doing it myself, especially since she's only a few inches big.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Are you talking about the band of different color?
Did it change suddenly?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Well, I suppose it's always been that color now that I'm looking at her past pictures, it's just longer. It makes more sense that I caught her with poopy mouth and expected the worst. I'm sure when I see the vet this weekend she will let me know if anything is wrong.