Redfoot Tortoise Plastron Damage/Rot

afikes

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Altos, CA
[First Post!]

We have two cherryhead tortoises, approximately 2.5 years old, that live a mixed indoor / outdoor life. Indoor substrate is cypress mulch, and the outdoor substrate is soil mixed w/ a bit of coco coir, and an hutch w/ cypress mulch.

Our first tortoise, Daisy, has developed two milky white patches on the plastron in the last few months, which resist obvious cleaning. Our second tortoise, Brownie, has nearly always had damaged intergular scutes, which while concerning, have never appeared to get worse.

I would love feedback and pointers on both Daisy's and Brownie's conditions, and have attached photos of each. Thanks!

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That may or may not be fungal.
The first photo I'd say no.
The second looks like an already healed area.
But here's the thing....Athletes foot cream cures it and fast. And there is no downside if you use it when it's not needed. It does no harm.
So get some (I get mine from the dollar store) and smear a little on the areas.
Eventually with Redfoot you just might have a fungal issue. So it's good to have the cream handy anyway.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
That may or may not be fungal.
The first photo I'd say no.
The second looks like an already healed area.
But here's the thing....Athletes foot cream cures it and fast. And there is no downside if you use it when it's not needed. It does no harm.
So get some (I get mine from the dollar store) and smear a little on the areas.
Eventually with Redfoot you just might have a fungal issue. So it's good to have the cream handy anyway.

I second that