Redfoot Tortoise

SamanthaPantaleon

Location (City and/or State)
Rockdale, Tx
Howdy,

I am wanting to get a redfoot tortoise. Any recommendations on where to get one?

I would appreciate recommendations on thermometers, heat sources, and UVB sources as I have heard many mixed reviews.

also, what is the difference in a hatchling and in a well started hatchling? Is it worth spending the extra money?

thank you in advance!!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Hello SAmantha, i notice you have a very sick sulcata tort right now that is in a tiny tank. I would wrk on getting him well and set up correctly before looking for another. Just my opinion. Welcome to the forum

SamanthaPantaleon

Rockdale, Tx
Hello SAmantha, i notice you have a very sick sulcata tort right now that is in a tiny tank. I would wrk on getting him well and set up correctly before looking for another. Just my opinion. Welcome to the forum
He is my boyfriends tortoise that we rescued from another owner. Things are not looking up. I want one to have on my own. We do not live together.

Mysteek

Lake Worth, FL
Just my opinion, I would concentrate on getting the sick one healthy. You would learn about about their health, diet, heat, humidity, dos, don'ts, and other needs before getting a different species. I would spend a lot of time reading about the Sulcata to know all you could know help get this one healthy and when it's time for you to get your own you'll be much better prepared. Also something to consider...if you plan to have the tortoises live together in the future think about this; many tortoise species will fight in a small area and they (tortoises in general) only come together for breeding or water during a drought. They are mostly solitary animals.

Liggysasha

Cape Coral
I just saw in your other post that your boyfriend's tortoise passed away. I'm so sorry. It looked like he was very sick when you got him.

Well done for doing research and asking questions about a redfoot before you get one.

I'm new to tortoises but I've been doing a LOT of research too. You definitely want a closed chamber enclosure. Even something simple like a plastic storage box would work. You want to get the very biggest one you can find. Lowe's or Home Depot have big ones.

For light, Refoots doesn't need bright bright light as they are forest dwellers. I bought a Zoo Med Reptisun T5-HO based on the advice here. Don't get a compact fluorescent type bulb, you want the long tube ones.

Redfoots don't need a basking area, but they need the entire enclosure to be warm. I got a Ceramic Heat Emitter bulb and a metal dome fixture for it (make sure the fixture is metal and ceramic, no plastic).

A laser temperature gun is really useful as you can check the temps all over the enclosure. You'll also want a digital thermostat. That will automatically turn the heat lamp on and off to maintain the temperature.

Make sure you read the Redfoot care sheets on here. They will REALLY help you!

Oh and the difference between a hatchling and a well-started hatchling is that the well-started is a little older and stronger. I would say it's worth spending the extra on a well-started one, especially if you are getting it from a good breeder.

SamanthaPantaleon

Rockdale, Tx
I just saw in your other post that your boyfriend's tortoise passed away. I'm so sorry. It looked like he was very sick when you got him.

Well done for doing research and asking questions about a redfoot before you get one.

I'm new to tortoises but I've been doing a LOT of research too. You definitely want a closed chamber enclosure. Even something simple like a plastic storage box would work. You want to get the very biggest one you can find. Lowe's or Home Depot have big ones.

For light, Refoots doesn't need bright bright light as they are forest dwellers. I bought a Zoo Med Reptisun T5-HO based on the advice here. Don't get a compact fluorescent type bulb, you want the long tube ones.

Redfoots don't need a basking area, but they need the entire enclosure to be warm. I got a Ceramic Heat Emitter bulb and a metal dome fixture of it (make sure the fixture is metal and ceramic, no plastic).

A laser temperature gun is really useful as you can check the temps all over the enclosure. You'll also want a digital thermostat. That will automatically turn the heat lamp on and off to maintain the temperature.

Make sure you read the Redfoot care sheets on here. They will REALLY help you!

Oh and the difference between and hatchling and a well-started hatchling is that the well-started is a little older and stronger. I would say it's worth spending the extra on a well-started one, especially if you are getting it from a good breeder.
Thank you so much!!!