Redfoot traumatized?

Cksnffr

5 Year Member
Hi! Last night one of the cats got into our tort tank when I was distracted (My husband is the main care taker but I had to do maintenance last night). I don't know if anything happened, he was in his shell and hiding under a log when I saw the lid open. This morning he's still in his shell, hiding under his log and wont come out. I put him in warm bath for 15 min and put out food. When he didn't move after an hour I put him back under his log. I cant tell if he's alive or dead? Help?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Poor tort is probably more scared than anything else. Warm soak is great, keep him warm and safe, let him recover from the trauma. When he comes out of his shell just check for any scratch injuries. Cats are not likely to try chewing on torts like dogs tend to do, but they may try "playing" with the "live toy" witht their paws. I think your tort is just very scared and without any bodily injury. Good luck

Cksnffr

5 Year Member
He has a vet appointment this afternoon. Will keep you posted. So it's normal for them to hide like that?

Cksnffr

5 Year Member
I just checked on him and he was out eating! Then he walked over and hid in his rock :) I will still take him to his appt for a checkup to make sure all is well.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
He has a vet appointment this afternoon. Will keep you posted. So it's normal for them to hide like that?
I've only kept torts since June'15 but been in this forum the whole time and connected with some really experienced keepers who've been kind enough to share their know how with me. And I'm like a sponge! Just soaking in! Well, from what I've read torts tend to get freaked out very easily. Stress is a big deal for them, all keepers always talk about how to avoid stressful situations for them. Give her little time, dark, warm place to hide, offer favorite food but don't push it. They all have their little personalities. I have 2, and one is very outgoing and gets over stress as soon as she gets her head, chin and neck petted, the other one is more skiddish and tucks his head in at any sudden move around him, hence his name-Tucker:) I think yours will be fine, just keep an eye on her/him

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
in the tortoise world bigger animals are usually predators it doesn't really matter whether or not the cat hurt your tortoise but it probably scared him.