Redfoot vs Burmese Stars: groups, personality & recommended UK breeders?

NE4 Reptiles

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all,

I'm currently planning for a tortoise/s to add to my reptile family (currently have turtles ( i.e wet puppies lol), geckos, bearded dragon, frogs).

Have narrowed down to redfoot/cherry head or possibly a Star (Burmese based on @Tom introduction guide to them.)

As everyone else, I'm looking for a some what personable (not super shy) tortoise. Based on what I've read on these forums and what some owners have mentioned, RF are known for their more outgoing nature generally, and the Burmese Star seems to be as well.

Ideally I would like a small group (maybe even breed in future), however am aware of the possibility of aggression etc. From what I've read, these species are more likely to get along. For those with personal experience, any advice or further insights on keeping groups ? I'm aware of providing multiple hiding spaces, breaking up line of sight in the enclosure etc.

I am based in the North of the UK and will be housing indoors for large parts of the time due to the weather we have. Will have access to outdoors when the weather is appropriate.

Will be building an 8 x 3-4ft closed chamber enclosure to start off with for the correct humidity and temperatures. Once the species is decided, I will set up and run the enclosure as required for that species with respect to the heating,humidity and UV requirements along with growing various plants/weeds prior to receiving the tort to make sure all is correct for their new home.

I have come across only a few UK breeders especially for the Stars ( most are also Indian not Burmese) however, only one so far seems to be following the general advise outlined on these forums with respect to how hatchlings are started (soaks, humidity, closed environment etc).

Some breeders won't even sell the Stars unless proof of an open table enclosure (because they are an 'arid environment' animal) is provided, which is ridiculous based on all the information I've read on these forums.

On that front, are there any UK breeders that are known to anyone here on these forums that can be recommended?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RFs will be tough to house in winter due to their size. Platynota are smaller. Platyota are also more likely to get along in mixed groups of any combination of sexes too. RFs can generally get along in groups, especially in large outdoor enclosures, but I see more problems with them fighting than I do with stars.

Sad that breeders there, and here too, don't understand the most basic needs of housing baby tortoises. Hopefully you can acquire some babies before too much damage is done and then lead by example.

There is more info here and a star tortoise care sheet at the bottom:

NE4 Reptiles

Newcastle upon Tyne
Thank you Tom, it was a lot of your posts on general care, species specific and also enclosure builds that has educated me on many aspects of tortoise care that I will be using going forward.

It is sad that many breeders are so set in their ways and don't see the facts and data for what it really is.

I'm hoping that the breeder I've come across also has platynota as as he seems to be very much aligned with the care philosophies discussed here.