Hi from the UK.

NE4 Reptiles

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all,

Quick introductory post. I'm based in the North of England and have been reading the forums for the past few months. I don't have a tortoise yet, still deciding on what species would be best. Currently building a 8 x 3 ft indoor closed chamber enclosure for the future tort.

Looking at star variants (ideally burmese platynota but they seem impossible to find in the UK) or redfoot/ cherry heads.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are doing your homework. Before buying your lighting and heat source. Read the caresheets and ask questions. It will save you a lot of money. I am sure someone will copy and paste the info for you. I don't know how to do it. Sorry 😁

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Most folks in your neck of the woods keep Hermanni or Greek tortoises and they allow them to roam the whole back garden (providing the fencing is safe and secure!).

NE4 Reptiles

Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks, the lighting and heating will be specific to the species as per the various care sheets I've seen on the forum. The site really is a great resource and clears up a lot of misconceptions.

Greeks/Hermanni are more common, however really leaning towards the Reds or Stars (have a UK Sri Lankan Star Breeder). I don't have a suitable permanent outdoor area at the moment but can take them out when the weather is appropriate. Would love a small group of 3 or so. However, am well aware of the potential issues as they mature. Stars seem to be the one species that don't seem to have any reported social issues when kept in groups.

I have various other reptiles including turtles ( diamondback terrapins, western painted turtle, yellow belly slider, musk and reeves), geckos, frogs, bearded dragon, a mini zoo lol, so am familiar with reptile heating and lighting.

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
Have you considered Western Hermann's (Testudo Hermanni Hermanni)? An equally eye catching species that are relatively small in size. Often sold commercially as 'Dwarf Hermann's' here in the UK, and commonly (and incorrectly) described as the smallest tortoise species.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thanks, Western Herman's wasn't on my radar but will look into them more.
Welcome from Devon. Our Hermanns tortoise is now 23 - we got him as a baby - and he is a friendly little chap and good company. He loves being with us, and is endlessly entertaining. I know you have various other animals, but
you may not have many who can be a friend - think about it !
Angie

NE4 Reptiles

Newcastle upon Tyne
My turtles are like wet puppies, swim up to you soon as they see you. The leopard gecko is very inquisitive, waits by the enclosure door to be taken out. Not the same as cats and dogs but still cute in their own way.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Lol, my greek boy hates me, Im the damn giant that screws up his territory all the time. Tries to bite or ram me every chance he gets.
My tort tolerates me as long as I don't sit on the ground in his space then he'll march over and try to barge me out of the way.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
There is a member from Sheffield - Craig aka @Anyfoot who keeps and breeds redfoot torts and he built a fantastic home for them.. However I don't think he's posted for a while but you could PM him if you decide to go with RF and see if he can help.

NE4 Reptiles

Newcastle upon Tyne
Lol, my greek boy hates me, Im the damn giant that screws up his territory all the time. Tries to bite or ram me every chance he gets.

Hi and welcome,
There is a member from Sheffield - Craig aka @Anyfoot who keeps and breeds redfoot torts and he built a fantastic home for them.. However I don't think he's posted for a while but you could PM him if you decide to go with RF and see if he can help.
Hi, yes I saw his fantastic enclosure build thread, really was something else. I noticed he wasn't active for quite some time, I think I saw a post where where he was selling up a lot of his animals, could be mistaken though.

The redfoot really seem like an interesting species to keep, even diet wise with the variations between fruit/veg and protein etc and the general outging temperament and group tolerance reported is really appealing. Long term size wise is my only slight concern with RF that's why the Stars and now the western Hermann need more serious consideration.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Zola has a very friendly personality, and has alway shown pleasure and interest when we appear - even when there is no food appearing with us. He just likes to be with us, and really enjoys attention. He does sometimes get in an aggressive mood, for no obvious reason, when he will thump around and push things about -also biting our shoes - but this is very rare, and we generally have no idea why.. If we leave him on his own, he usually calms down quite quickly. He is generally good when meeting other humans, but we never let him meet another tortoise - just in case.
Angie

NE4 Reptiles

Newcastle upon Tyne
Zola has a very friendly personality, and has alway shown pleasure and interest when we appear - even when there is no food appearing with us. He just likes to be with us, and really enjoys attention. He does sometimes get in an aggressive mood, for no obvious reason, when he will thump around and push things about -also biting our shoes - but this is very rare, and we generally have no idea why.. If we leave him on his own, he usually calms down quite quickly. He is generally good when meeting other humans, but we never let him meet another tortoise - just in case.
Angie
Sounds like a friendly little bulldozer, can't wait to get ours 😀

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Angie
I think what you describe is primarily territorial aggression, but I have been working up a suspicioun that mine associates me with food, and maybe sometimes is aggressive because he wants some, I havent really tested but I have been thinking it for a bit. Mine is pretty person specific as well, I could be in a room of 5 people and he will harrass me and no one else. Its quite funny.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I think what you describe is primarily territorial aggression, but I have been working up a suspicioun that mine associates me with food, and maybe sometimes is aggressive because he wants some, I havent really tested but I have been thinking it for a bit. Mine is pretty person specific as well, I could be in a room of 5 people and he will harrass me and no one else. Its quite funny.
We call it his "I don't know what I want, but I want it NOW !!!" mood. It isn't specifically food - more some sort of existential frustration !
Angie