Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopherkearney0

5 Year Member
I recently got a young redfoot. He is very light and seems to be dehydrated. He doesn't have an appetite at all. No matter what I offer him. His eyes are constantly closed and when they open they have bubbles around them. Please Help! I live on the Eastern Shore of Virginia, I am moving to NC, but right now there are no vets that will look at a tortoise!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Can you post a picture of your habitat and give us your temps? What has your routine been thus far? How long has it been acting this way?

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I am sorry- I am too tired to give this the attention it demands. The Library, linked below, may help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First, give a long warm soak every day. Make sure there is also water available to him 24/7. Keep the temps about five degrees warmer then normal. Make sure you are not using a coil bulb, they can cause eye problems. He must be ale to bask under a lite that is 95+. You can add child's non flavored piedialyte to his soak water to help him. You can also add baby food carrots to the soak water too. I would try each. Pictures of him and your setup would help too.

christopherkearney0

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377914970.849657.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1377914994.082574.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1377915008.347486.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1377914981.023493.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1377914981.023493.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 49
Last edited by a moderator:

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
It's really hallow/thin in appearance :(

Warm soaks, daily. Soak him in baby carrots (purée). Personally, I 'Juice' our own concoction. Carrots, kale, romaine, and water (to dilute).

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Is that it's enclosure? If so you need to get the hay out and put more coco chore in . What temperatures are you keeping him ? They need a basking spot of 90 f . A warm side of 80. A cool hide of 75/80 . With a humidity of 80/90 . That's going to be hard to do in a little fish tank .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
mike taylor said:
Is that it's enclosure? If so you need to get the hay out and put more coco chore in . What temperatures are you keeping him ? They need a basking spot of 90 f . A warm side of 80. A cool hide of 75/80 . With a humidity of 80/90 . That's going to be hard to do in a little fish tank .

actually its easy to achieve in a fish tank, just cover the sides about six inches up from the bottom so they cant see out and be stressed out by this.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
There is no way of getting the temperatures right in that small tank . A larger one yes . I use a large reptiles tank for my sulcata. That is three foot by two foot and getting the temperatures right is easy with a bigger tank . Small tanks are hard to get the temperatures to drop . About all the op can do is set up a che on a thermostat set at 85 . Mist the tank one time a day and poor some water in a corner so the top of the substrate stays dry . It also needs a hide and water bowl . But seeing that it is sick right now I would keep the tank no lower than 85 . Tell it gets better . We need to know what kind of lighting you are using and your four temperatures. Basking , hot side ,cool side,and night time temperatures. Also humidity percentages is a must know . So we can set your tort up so he will overcome his sickness.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
a smaller enclosure is just as easy, if not easier, than a larger one. dont know what your reasoning is, but logically it makes sense.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

Status
Not open for further replies.