Rep-cal tortoise food??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeninak907

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754049&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No
My russian loves this stuff. I didn't buy it but she came with it. I still give it to her because she loves it. Should I stop feeding it to her? I know their diet is dark leafy greens and things of the like. I feed her greens all the time, (she eats 3x a day) so she dont just eat this stuff. So I am just wondering is it bad and should I stop feeding it now or can I keep giving it to her?

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Well the top two ingredients are the same as Mazuri. Ground soybean hulls and corn. Some of the other ingredients appear to be the same. I would guess it's just as safe, but I wouldn't make it a main part of the diet.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
When I got Walter he came with a bunch of foods like that, I switched him to healthy greens, now if I try to offer it he stares at me like I'm a crazy person. I always compare the colored tortoise foods to human junk foods, they just look unhealthy. I think just the color weirds me out.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Safe and beneficial are different things in my book. It does not appear that this food will cause harm to your tortoise. It has a bit to much sugar for my liking ( from the fruit). The company also instructs moistening it with fruit juice and offering it with fruit. This may be the reason your tort loves it so much!! I personally don't like the idea of this being offered to a Russian daily. If I used it at all it would certainly only offer it as an occasional treat. Moderation and variety are the most important things to remember. Too much of anything is potentially damaging to the long term health of a tort.

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
Ya I kinda figured it was tortoise junk food. I only giver it to her in a little bowle once a day. It is not her maid diet, just a "dessert" and when its gone she is not getting any more. lol it reminds me of fruity pebbles. And she eats it dry, no juice added.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
jeninak907 said:
Ya I kinda figured it was tortoise junk food. I only giver it to her in a little bowle once a day. It is not her maid diet, just a "dessert" and when its gone she is not getting any more. lol it reminds me of fruity pebbles. And she eats it dry, no juice added.

Haha, I was never allowed fruity pebbles! It drove me crazy as a little kid. Before I got him this was all Walter got, he won't even touch his food if I try to put grassland tortoise food or any of that business on it. He's just into the veggies, no funny business :p

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
BowandWalter said:
jeninak907 said:

Haha, I was never allowed fruity pebbles! It drove me crazy as a little kid. Before I got him this was all Walter got, he won't even touch his food if I try to put grassland tortoise food or any of that business on it. He's just into the veggies, no funny business :p

We always had like 6 diffrent cerals on hand. lol and a cupboard dedicated to junk food. And I never became obese .:p

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
jeninak907 said:

Excellent choice in my opinion. I noticed on another of your threads that you are freezing individual portions of greens for him because he is so small. May I suggest holding onto the scraps of veggies and lettuce you wind up with when making a salad for dinner. Mix that with a handful of weeds from the yard and it is perfect for a small young Russian.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
jeninak907 said:
We always had like 6 diffrent cerals on hand. lol and a cupboard dedicated to junk food. And I never became obese .:p

Haha, I live on my own now and I eat ridiculous amounts of candy, if I could live on sour keys I probably would. Walter however only eats organic salad! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.