Reptiles Magazine Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
cdmay said:
I might have come off as a little too harsh on Reptiles Magazine which was not my intent. I personally do not care for it for the reasons mentioned but also for the way it seemingly promotes the concept that reptiles (especially turtles and tortoises) make good 'pets'.
But I will admit that after thinking about what EJ said that Reptiles does serve a purpose. New keepers need a place to start and Reptiles can help in that regard. My only wish is that it could be more like the superb magazine Tropical Fish Hobbyist (TFH) in that it would offer useful information for both beginners AND seasoned keepers. Also, TFH candidly advises that many tropical fish species that are commonly found offered for sale at local pet or aquarium shops are not good choices for most people. In fact, I have read articles in TFH where they openly denounce the sale of certain fish because of their poor track record in captivity and low success rate people have in keeping them.
Reptiles would go far in gaining respect if they too would be so honest with what makes a good pet for someone and what doesn't. They could start by offering articles with a little more substance.

As someone that used to be really big into aquarium fish and has since graduated into aquaculture, I would agree with this. TFH is usually a very well written magazine however it was also a magazine that you'd kind of out grow down the line. I have always been the type to look for whatever info I can find on a subject and as such I already own 3 Redfoot books and have asked advice of a number of people that have raised and bred Redfoots. Novices need to start somewhere (I'm still very much a novice) but if they want to do this long term as I do, there needs to be an opportunity to learn more than the basics. Luckily I have stumbled across this site and it gives me and other novices that opportunity.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Chewbecca said:
And, EEEK! He's not listed because I wasn't sure if I should label his species latin name or just "redfoot", and if I went with latin, should I go with "Chelonoidis carbonaria" or "Geochelone carbonaria".
Then I decided against using the latin name because it was too controversial as to which term is the "correct" term.
Then I just took a break from here, and forgot completely about it.:D

Chelonoidis is the more correct term right now, but Geochelone is perfectly acceptable.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Real men read books, not magazines! :D :p

Oh Carl how happy I am to hear that that women said that to you because if she hadn't that little tortoise probably would be dead right now. I admire the type of person that you seem to be. Oh no, might I be another fan or Carl's.....:D :p

Anyway I wish I would have been at that expo Carl I would have loved getting one of your babies....maybe this spring huh? ;)

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Candy said:
Real men read books, not magazines! :D :p

Oh Carl how happy I am to hear that that women said that to you because if she hadn't that little tortoise probably would be dead right now. I admire the type of person that you seem to be. Oh no, might I be another fan or Carl's.....:D :p

Anyway I wish I would have been at that expo Carl I would have loved getting one of your babies....maybe this spring huh? ;)

Blasphemy! I am Carl's only fan! :p ;)

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Chelonoidis is the more current term. Let's see if it stands the test of time. I wouldn't call it more correct.

Madkins007 said:
Chewbecca said:
And, EEEK! He's not listed because I wasn't sure if I should label his species latin name or just "redfoot", and if I went with latin, should I go with "Chelonoidis carbonaria" or "Geochelone carbonaria".
Then I decided against using the latin name because it was too controversial as to which term is the "correct" term.

Chelonoidis is the more correct term right now, but Geochelone is perfectly acceptable.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
Madkins007 said:
Chewbecca said:

Mark and EJ-
I know now what I am going to list him as.:D

Thank you!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.