Reptilinks Sticker Shock!!!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I've been feeding my forest tortoises, one Redfoot and one MEP, animal protein once a week since they came to live with me.

rlinks.png
Guinea fowl, Chicken, Quail (includes whole bird and some feathers), Ohio raised New Zealand white or California white breed rabbit, and frog. Organic green beans, collard greens, dandelion greens, endive, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries, 100% natural collagen casing.

Hard to argue with that ingredients list, and my tortoises love it! They clean their plates every week, moreso than with any other food I give them.

Initially, I placed a huge order to get a price break and free shipping, but the other day I took the last vacuum-sealed pouch out of the freezer and started to place another order... the price staggered me.

To get the wholesale pricing and free shipping, you need to order ten packages, which is $288. I did the math this time around and it works (at best) to around 6 kg, or 13.2 pounds, which works out to $21.81 per pound... that took my breath away and made me reconsider my choices.

I like feeding my forest tortoises quality animal protein, like whole prey feeding, and obviously like that they enjoy the food I give them, but $22 a pound is more than I spend on steaks for myself at the supermarket, so I decided to rethink my feeding regimen.

It occurred to me to make my own... I could chop up a bunch of raw shrimp (with shells), raw Salmon (with skin), chicken liver, and ground beef or turkey and come up with an approximation for much less.

I'd need to figure out a way to portion it out and freeze it so that I could feed my torts a few ounces each week without the rest spoiling in the freezer, and it seemed like a mess... further study.

Someone in a FB group suggested raw food designed for cats & dogs, and I looked into it... I like what I found.

instinctrawsignature.jpg

From their website: "Our most distinct, carefully crafted raw frozen recipes - 100% all natural, minimally processed, never cooked to keep nutrients pure and intact. Crafted from 95% meat, organ and bone and 5% vegetables, fruits and wholesome ingredients."

I got an 8oz bag for $3.99 of the frozen chicken food from a local petstore to try it out... the ingredients impressed me:

Chicken (including Ground Chicken Bone), Chicken Liver, Chicken Heart, Turkey Liver, Yeast Culture, Turkey Heart, Carrots, Butternut Squash, Apples, Ground Flaxseed, Montmorillonite Clay, Dried Kelp, Broccoli, Cod Liver Oil, Salt, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Vitamin E Supplement, Dried Chicory Root, Blueberries.

If it works out, the chicken and other flavors are available in 4-pound bags at my local feed store for a bit less per pound.

I'll try it with them tomorrow and hope that they like it.

Jamie

Reactions: Tom

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
One ingredient that had me confused... the clay... here's is what I found:

JS

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
I wouldn’t feed raw salmon. Salmon is a bi-water fish and as such is much more susceptible to parasites. (It doesn’t have the protective slime that saltwater fish do)
I had an experience with this, when I was young I had two aquatic turtles I would occasionally feed them raw salmon that was previously frozen. One time when chopping up the salmon I noticed little white things in the meat. Didn’t think anything of it and continued to feed the turtles. Next day look in the tank and see that it is infested with worms!? (Same white things I saw in the fish meat) it was a nightmare! And so much work to clean and treat the tank and turtles.
But good luck finding an affordable healthy meat alternative for your torts.
PS. Wish I could have a MEP where I am. ?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
After testing the chicken and the lamb formulations of the Instinct Signature Raw Food, both of my forest tortoises appear to prefer the lamb formulation.

I may try small bags of the duck and rabbit formulations before committing to the bigger (4lb) bags.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
raw.jpg
I went with the beef version of the signature raw food for dogs, the ingredients are: Beef, Beef Liver, Beef Kidney, Ground Beef Bone, Beef Spleen, Beef Heart, Carrots, Butternut Squash, Apples, Ground Flaxseed, Montmorillonite Clay, Dried Kelp, Broccoli, Cod Liver Oil, Salt, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Vitamin E Supplement, Dried Chicory Root, Blueberries.

I've fed my forest tortoises this food once a week for the past two weeks, and both times they've consumed it voraciously.

Jamie