Reputable Breeder for Leos

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I am excited! My dh is giving me the go ahead for a leopard hatchling! He actually told me I should get 2 a male and a female but I don't know if I can find anyone to guarantee that for me. Does anyone know of a reputable breeder? I have seen a few people online on kingsnake, but would like to get everyone's opinion.

Thanks!

Dee

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Dee there is no way to guarantee sex on hatchlings. They need to be at least 6-8". Some folks claim to temp sex during incubation but I dont trust that very well at all. Jeff Gee has some very nice Leopards and just plain nice torts all around. Here is one of his ads.

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=50&de=538622

I saw his stuff first hand at the Chicago show last month and I was quite impressed. His prices are fair as well.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Oh. My. Gawd. Anja why did you have to post that link?!??! Those hatchlings are precious! Not good. NOOOOOOOT GOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! :\

(rofl)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Anja, Guess what?!? I just got off the phone with him a short while ago. After looking at the different ads on kingsnake, I decided to call him. I felt very comfortable and he seemed very knowledgeable. I liked the fact that all of his babies are hatched out of the ground. Not that it makes a difference but just seems more natural. I think I am going to order through him. I think I am going to risk it and get 2. What do you think, rubbermaid container until my hubby gets a tort table built? They are just ity bity things and should be plenty of room! Also, do you guys like the uv/basking combined lights better than the separate units? Want to get everything together before I order them!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D:D I agree, not fair posting that ad. Those guys are so adorable!!

Yes I say Rubbermaid container especially if you can find one of the ones made for Christmas gift wrap. They are larger circumference and not as deep for more room and better air movement. They are cheap and it's going to be just temp until you get the table made.

I do like the combination...haven't had time to see how well they work and hold up compared to others yet, but just the idea is good. Think about it, when is the best time and the more natural time for them to be getting their UVs? When they are basking right? Plus less room is needed for one setup, less outlets, ect..,

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I will have to check walmart for the wrapping paper containers. If not, I was thinking one of those flat under the bed storage boxes. I figured I could clamp the lights right to the sides until my table is done. So glad I have a handy hubby to build me things. He already has stuff going through his mind. Melamine construction, wheels on the legs, etc, etc. Can't wait!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds good!

You know one of the best things I am seeing and hearing here? It's becoming a family project!!!!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
hehehe great minds think alike? lol

Here is what my Leopard hatchling is in at the moment, he will be moving up into a bigger enclosure soon. Rubbermaid will be just fine until your hubby can build a table.

5a01175b.jpg

9d947b6a.jpg

f6b0c8c6.jpg

Right now Im using separate UVB and heat bulbs, but I might try the combo bulbs soon.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I think my hubby has figured out that to keep me happy after 20 years of marriage, that he just has to give in! LOL I am very low maintenance. I don't need diamonds, just a tort table!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Anja, That was exactly what I had in mind for a set up. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.