RES Morph?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepennyninja

5 Year Member
I bought a RES morph but I don't know what kind it is! It's clearly not 100% albino nor pastel. What could it be? If so, was 200 dollars worth it?

Attachments

• image-3567207020.png
    image-3567207020.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 163
  • image-433665649.png
    image-433665649.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
  • image-3573388818.png
    image-3573388818.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 165

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum!

Whoa...$200 is an awful lot of money for a red ear slider. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with prices of the morphs, or what turtles cost in the country you live in, but I really doubt I would pay that much for a red ear slider.

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
Wowzers. Yeah you can get a res for $30 here. But a morph I'm unfamiliar with as well

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Definitely not an albino. Here is my albino for comparison..
2llf53l.jpg

mvhwci.jpg

notice the lack of pigment and red eyes?

you must have a morph of some sort.

If the member Gerards comes on and sees this he can tell you exactly what you have. :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks like a hypo of some sort. I have never seen one that color . I would have payed two bills for him too.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
2llf53l.jpg

mvhwci.jpg

notice the lack of pigment and red eyes?

you must have a morph of some sort.

If the member Gerards comes on and sees this he can tell you exactly what you have. :)

I has already been stated what he has in the post above......

kjr153

5 Year Member
Agreed!

emysemys said:
Welcome to the forum!

Whoa...$200 is an awful lot of money for a red ear slider. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with prices of the morphs, or what turtles cost in the country you live in, but I really doubt I would pay that much for a red ear slider.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
EricIvins said:

I'm sure the OP appreciates your help in identifying her turtle.

EricIvins said:
Team Gomberg said:

I has already been stated what he has in the post above......

My mistake. I didn't realize after you had answered the thread was closed.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I don't raise aquatic turtles and know nothing about red eared sliders. However, I think you new little guy is gorgeous. His coloration is beautiful.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have seen albino red ears go for around 300.00 to 400.00. Is that a bad price? But just a normal red ears only sell for 10.00 here in the Houston area. If you don't mind what did you give for your albino red ear? O would love to have one . Maybe one day the wife would kill me if I payed four hundred bucks for a slider you can find in a pond around here she would not understand that you will never find one in the wild.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
mike taylor said:
I have seen albino red ears go for around 300.00 to 400.00. Is that a bad price? But just a normal red ears only sell for 10.00 here in the Houston area. If you don't mind what did you give for your albino red ear? O would love to have one . Maybe one day the wife would kill me if I payed four hundred bucks for a slider you can find in a pond around here she would not understand that you will never find one in the wild.

The TFO member Gerards was the breeder of this beautiful albino girl. He graciously donated her and shipped her from FL to CA to live in our special needs classroom tank. :D

We feel very honored and special to have her :)

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
It has a hypomelanistic/translucent look to it. The hypo translucent RES are the closet looking "morph" to what you have and it could be from that line. Its a really nice looking RES! There are tons of non genetic light phase, hypo looking, animals produce on farms every year. Unless its from a genetic line, which I haven't seen, it seems like a really high price for something that goes for a few dollars above a wild type.

Eric, is the green color in RES considered melanin? Is hypomelanistic the correct term for this look, in this species? Hyperxanthic???

EricIvins

5 Year Member
It isn't a Translucent. It is a simple recessive Hypo. There are several Hypo lines out there, some of which are compatible, others not so much. Pictured is what it will look like when mature.

Melanin on a Red Ear is represented as black. RES morphs are so convoluted it isn't funny. A "Hypo Translucent" really isn't a "Hypo". A "Snow" is an Albino Caramel Pink, and not an Albino Axanthic. So many names for just one morph. You'll occasionally see Adult Hypos advertised a "Bumble Bees" or other stupid names because the Hypos will still have some Melanin as they mature. Super Hypos lack Melanin altogether, but still have that purple skin and dark pupil which Albinos lack. These come from F2 offspring of one or two Hypo lines, so not all Hypos will produce Super Hypos. Confused yet? It only gets worse every year as more people tack on these trade names for morphs that are already represented by different terms.

Almost forgot this little tidbit of information - More than likely these "Hypo" animals are a form of T+ Albino and not a true "Hypo". This would explain why they gain melanin as they mature ( T+ animals can synthesize SOME melanin, versus a T- Albino ( Amelanistic ) that cannot synthesize any ). However, these animals have been marketed as Hypos for at least 15 years now, so there is no hope of ever changing that term. No one has submitted any for DOPA testing either, which would give the real verdict on wheter they are T+ Albinos.....

Attachments

• 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 67

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
That's why I haven't heard of any hypos, we call them T+ albinos. The original Caramels were black and white looking but not anerythristic, albino caramel doesn't sound as "cool" as snow RES. That's how some of these stupid names get stuck, it's all about making them more appealing. The ones that actually have a hypo look to them I have found not to be genetic, just light phase normals. I can't find pics I have of animals I've bred. I probably erased them because they weren't genetic. Thanks!
256971470.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.