1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Rescued a Star Tortoise. Is that ok??

Discussion in 'Indian Star and Burmese Star tortoises' started by indianstar.aj, Jan 9, 2019.

1. indianstar.aj

indianstar.aj New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Hyderabad,India
    Guys I recently found a star Tortoise and I felt that it went through some harsh conditions as I notice something unusual in it's bottom. Can anyone help me in looking at it and also with care sheet and sex determination. Posting the picture of other one I have too. Help me in identifying the sex of both, what will be the expected age of both and since when Indian star Tortoise stars mating and laying eggs.
    The first 2 pics are of rescued one and other two pics are the one with me now IMG_20190110_120618.jpeg IMG_20190110_120626.jpeg IMG_20190110_120739.jpeg IMG_20190110_120756.jpeg
  2. indianstar.aj

indianstar.aj New Member

Hyderabad,India
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Guys, Please help me.
  3. G-stars

G-stars Well-Known Member

So Cal
    Since your from India it was probably wild caught and that’s an old scar or shell rot. Looks like it’s healing and should be ok. Age is nearly impossible to tell on tortoises unless you know the hatch date. They are both males so don’t need to worry about breeding.

I would still keep them separate, because the one you just got looks wild caught and can pass on pathogens to your other one. At least until you quarantine it for a few months. Indian males aren’t usually aggressive to each other. But I would still discourage putting 2 tortoises together.
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Clovis, CA
    Does India have laws in place to protect their native wildlife? It may not be ok to keep it.
  5. Toddrickfl1

Toddrickfl1 Well-Known Member TFO Supporter

Ga
    If you found it in the wild you didn't rescue it you abducted it.
  6. indianstar.aj

indianstar.aj New Member

Hyderabad,India
    No I didn't find it in wild.