Respiratory Infection Help

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
Hello friends. I have a 2 year old Eastern Hermann’s tortoise who is close to full grown. He weighs around 660 grams and is round 6 1/2 inches long. I noticed this morning he was making a sound that sounded like a little bird chirping. From what I’ve read on the forum, I assume this is the start of a respiratory infection. His eyes are still bright and clear, no nasal discharge and he ate like a beast again this morning. He’s been peeing and pooping normal as well. I understand RI’s are usually caused by temps that are too cold. I downloaded the data from the 3 thermometers/hygrometers in his enclosure this morning and I don’t believe his temps have gotten too cold.

Here’s the data from the last week…
Warm Side: Min 72.9 Max 85.1 (Average 79.2) Humidity Average 48%
Middle of enclosure: Min 72.5 Max 81.3 (Average 76.9) Humidity Average 51.1%
Cool Side: Min 72.5 Max 77.9 (Average 75.4) Humidity Average 52.2%

He has 2 basking spots that heat up to 95-96 degrees. He also still gets soaked everyday for a minimum of 20 minutes and I always watch the temp of the water like a hawk too. When I listen to his breathing, it’s not every breath that he makes the chirping noise. It seems intermittent at this point. For now I’ve boosted my heat a bit to see if it’ll help.

Any ideas on what would have caused this or what I can do to help him?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I just spent some time with Dozer and he doesn’t seem to be chirping anymore. I guess I’ll keep the heat elevated for the time being. I’d really appreciate if anyone can give some input on what else can cause a RI besides temps that are too cool or if there something else that can cause this chirping?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello friends. I have a 2 year old Eastern Hermann’s tortoise who is close to full grown. He weighs around 660 grams and is round 6 1/2 inches long. I noticed this morning he was making a sound that sounded like a little bird chirping. From what I’ve read on the forum, I assume this is the start of a respiratory infection. His eyes are still bright and clear, no nasal discharge and he ate like a beast again this morning. He’s been peeing and pooping normal as well. I understand RI’s are usually caused by temps that are too cold. I downloaded the data from the 3 thermometers/hygrometers in his enclosure this morning and I don’t believe his temps have gotten too cold.

Here’s the data from the last week…
Warm Side: Min 72.9 Max 85.1 (Average 79.2) Humidity Average 48%
Middle of enclosure: Min 72.5 Max 81.3 (Average 76.9) Humidity Average 51.1%
Cool Side: Min 72.5 Max 77.9 (Average 75.4) Humidity Average 52.2%

He has 2 basking spots that heat up to 95-96 degrees. He also still gets soaked everyday for a minimum of 20 minutes and I always watch the temp of the water like a hawk too. When I listen to his breathing, it’s not every breath that he makes the chirping noise. It seems intermittent at this point. For now I’ve boosted my heat a bit to see if it’ll help.

Any ideas on what would have caused this or what I can do to help him?
My redfoot clucks like a chicken when he's..... shall we say "Feeling Frisky". I'm not sure if other species do that too though. In any case is he's eating and going to the bathroom, I wouldn't stress too much.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
My redfoot clucks like a chicken when he's..... shall we say "Feeling Frisky". I'm not sure if other species do that too though. In any case is he's eating and going to the bathroom, I wouldn't stress too much.
Thanks @Toddrickfl1 Dozer definitely wasn’t making his “frisky sounds”. This sound I haven’t heard from him before. It’s when he’s exhaling it sounds like a light whistle or small bird chirp. I hope whatever it was stays away and doesn’t come back. It was alarming to hear that sound from him this morning. Thankfully his eyes still look clear, he was fairly active today and he ate really well. I gave him an extra soak after work and peed again and had another normal, well formed poop. I’ll try to not worry.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Thanks @Toddrickfl1 Dozer definitely wasn’t making his “frisky sounds”. This sound I haven’t heard from him before. It’s when he’s exhaling it sounds like a light whistle or small bird chirp. I hope whatever it was stays away and doesn’t come back. It was alarming to hear that sound from him this morning. Thankfully his eyes still look clear, he was fairly active today and he ate really well. I gave him an extra soak after work and peed again and had another normal, well formed poop. I’ll try to not worry.
Sometimes they get a bit of phlegm or food stuck in the back of a nostril. This will work its way out with normal breathing and soaking.

Your humidity is low enough that you could try nudging it up a bit if the whistle continues.

Keep us posted!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Sometimes they get a bit of phlegm or food stuck in the back of a nostril. This will work its way out with normal breathing and soaking.

Your humidity is low enough that you could try nudging it up a bit if the whistle continues.

Keep us posted!
Thanks for sharing this @ZenHerper I appreciate it. I will for sure keep you posted.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Dozer is making the whistle/chirp sound again this morning. It’s not on every breath and I have to have my ear quite close to him to hear it, but I’ve heard it a few times already today. ☹️ It is when he’s inhaling though, not exhaling like I said yesterday. His eyes are still bright, nares are still clear and he’s active and running around trying to find trouble. I still have the heat boosted and have upped the humidity.

If anyone has more thoughts or ideas about this, please feel free to chime in.