Respiratory Infection ? Normal Breathing?

Hector zaragoza

Location (City and/or State)
Glendora
Ugh I can upload a video but here we are. I’m trying to figure out if Normand’s breathing is normal. I live in Northern California it’s 80F day and at night 55F. He eats all day and poops so much recently he didn’t want to come out or he’s enclosure and for the first time today he spent ALL day outside. He was spending 2 hours daily outside. I have a camera inside so I see when he’s out. He’s temps inside his enclosure are 110F day and night 90/95F he have a big heat matt and he ceramic bulb. When I say he’s eating alot it’s like a lot a lot now that he’s established. There’s no water or bubbles coming out he’s nose and he is very active. I’ve been watching him for weeks and it’s the same noise. Kinda or when they smell you but just breathing. When he sleeps you can’t hear him at all. Any guesses ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0583.png
    IMG_0583.png
    580.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0557.jpeg
    IMG_0557.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ugh I can upload a video but here we are. I’m trying to figure out if Normand’s breathing is normal. I live in Northern California it’s 80F day and at night 55F. He eats all day and poops so much recently he didn’t want to come out or he’s enclosure and for the first time today he spent ALL day outside. He was spending 2 hours daily outside. I have a camera inside so I see when he’s out. He’s temps inside his enclosure are 110F day and night 90/95F he have a big heat matt and he ceramic bulb. When I say he’s eating alot it’s like a lot a lot now that he’s established. There’s no water or bubbles coming out he’s nose and he is very active. I’ve been watching him for weeks and it’s the same noise. Kinda or when they smell you but just breathing. When he sleeps you can’t hear him at all. Any guesses ?
Sounds like normal breathing, but I would get rid of the CHE and replace it with a RHP. CHEs and heat lamps are not effective on larger tortoises, and usually damage the top of the carapace. The heat mat is good though.

Hector zaragoza

Glendora
Sounds like normal breathing, but I would get rid of the CHE and replace it with a RHP. CHEs and heat lamps are not effective on larger tortoises, and usually damage the top of the carapace. The heat mat is good though.
What is a CHE and a RHP ?
I soak him as well and he’s very much active and eating lots. He did grow very big this last spring so I think it’s just that he’s getting bigger and I can hear him breath.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is a CHE and a RHP ?
I soak him as well and he’s very much active and eating lots. He did grow very big this last spring so I think it’s just that he’s getting bigger and I can hear him breath.
Ceramic heating element. Radiant heat panel.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Got it. I also bought a bigger Kane heat Matt that would cover most of the enclosure. He outgrew the one he has right now. Thank you ! I’ll still keep an eye out for he’s breathing.
You want him to be able to get off of the mat if he's already warm enough. I usually use the 18x28 even for really large males.

Hector zaragoza

Glendora
You want him to be able to get off of the mat if he's already warm enough. I usually use the 18x28 even for really large males.
That’s the one I bought. He was on a 18x18! And he kept moving it since he has a lot of room in he’s enclosure. I hope he likes the new one. I’ve seen ppl put the heat Matt’s on the side of the enclosure idk if that would be a good idea too for winter but here I am it doesn’t get below 50