Revised Enclosure

capedthespian

Thanks to this great forum, I've revised Olive's enclosure. I'm still working on getting a cover for it, so to maintain the humidity I give her daily soaks, constant access to water, and keep the substrate moist. Her humid hide has a heating pad under it to keep the wet substrate from getting too cold for her. Does anyone have any advice, other than the cover, to improve the terrarium? Its fifty gallons, for reference.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1390788616.413236.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some edible plants would be enjoyed. If you get the living lettuces they sell at the grocery stores, they should be safe to eat right away. It will make it look. Ice for a while, until he eats or tramples them:D

capedthespian

If I can transplant dandelions, will they survive in the enclosure? That's what she's eating now.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
AW: Revised Enclosure

Dandelion has VERY long roots, so I don't know. You can try though. Plantain transplants quite wasily though. :)

kjr153

5 Year Member
I planted a dandelion in my enclosure that I dug out of the yard. It didn't last long.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
If you get the living lettuces they sell at the grocery stores, they should be safe to eat right away.

I love getting those for my little ones. They love them and it so fun to watch them work their way through them. :D

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I planted succulents, grass, clover, and I also have a little fern and snow plant. They are like little bushes that you keep in their pot this give you some color in the enclosure yet safe for your tortoise if he/she wants to eat it.

I also put a humidifier converted on a fogger to maintain humidity.

What kind of bulbs you have in your enclosure ?
Also, I would like to know how big is the heating pad and how much it cost ? If you don't mind. Do you put it under the soil or not soil at all?

Thanks I hope I give you few ideas of what to have inside. I'm not a pro but I love to read a lot in the forum.

Evy
Penny (sulcata)
Blue (European Hound)
Dolly (Yorkie)