Question about moisture in hatchling enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoofbeatlove

5 Year Member
I have my Sulcata hatchling on a 50/50 topsoil and peat moss substrate. My question is, does the whole substrate need to be moist, or just his hide box for humidity? In other words, should the entire enclosure be a little replica of their natural habitat (dry and hot for the majority of the enclosure, with a humid "hide-spot"? Or, since in the wild, hatchlings stay in a humid burrow mostly, should the enclosure mimic that (moist and humid throughout)? Hopefully this makes sense.. haha

Also, want to double check on my temps. it's around 100 degrees directly under the lights, 85-88 in the middle of the enclosure, and about 78 on the cool side. Are these temps. okay?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I don't have top soil/moss as a substrate so I can't help you there but as far as your temps go they sound pretty perfect to me.

hoofbeatlove

5 Year Member
How do you have your enclosure set up, AnthonyC? All moist, or only moist in the hide-spot? Assuming you have hatchlings.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Yep, I have Sulcata hatchlings... 3 of the little buggers! I have 1/2 coco coir & 1/2 cypress mulch. The humid hide is always moist, but I usually mist the rest of the enclosure 3 or 4x/day, especially under my MVB b/c heat + moisture= humidity so that helps to keep my humidity level up. There are a few spots that are dry. I try not to mist any area that isn't getting heat b/c I don't want the dampness to just sit and mold up on me. Hope that helps!

hoofbeatlove said:
How do you have your enclosure set up, AnthonyC? All moist, or only moist in the hide-spot? Assuming you have hatchlings.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
This is a matter of opinion. I have cypress mulch and moss in a vivariam with a plexi glass top to hold in moisture for my Leopard hatchling. I soak the whole enclosure daily. I keep my humidity around 70% alway's.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
For my Leo hatchling I use a fogger set on a timer so that it stays humid even when I work 24 hr shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.