RF food

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What would be the best thing to feed my RF tort and how often should it be feed? Please be specific! @ZEROPILOT
Feed every day. And when possible feed at about the same time every day.
Feed several items each day.
For example I fed mine banana, cherry tomatoes, kale,zucchini, hibiscus flowers and mushrooms.
Don't feed too much of any one thing. Redfoot can eat hundreds of different things and a diet of more than 50% fruit is perfectly acceptable.
The short list is: fruit, edible flowers, green leafy plants including hibiscus leaves and cactus. Mushrooms, boiled mashed whole eggs. Vegetable matter, dog or cat food and/or non seasoned boiled chicken or shrimp. (To avoid salmonella) and prepared tortoise chow such as Mazuri 5M21
In fact theres an excellent chance that your Redfoot can eat most of what you already have in your home for human consumption and things growing outside your house. Non processed. Non seasoned. Fresh foods that have not been treated in anyway by pesticides.
Take full advantage of the huge range of foods that a RF can eat.
Get creative. Mix it up.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Greens, fruits, and veggies
Everyday: mixed greens
2-3 times a week: butternut squash, mango/papaya/pineapple
1-2 times a week: mushrooms, bananas, kibble (mazuri/zoomed)

Animal protein in small quantities

2-3 times a week: mazuri croc kibble, frozen raw dog food (mostly meat/organ/bone)

Jamie

America
Feed every day. And when possible feed at about the same time every day.
Feed several items each day.
For example I fed mine banana, cherry tomatoes, kale,zucchini, hibiscus flowers and mushrooms.
Don't feed too much of any one thing. Redfoot can eat hundreds of different things and a diet of more than 50% fruit is perfectly acceptable.
The short list is: fruit, edible flowers, green leafy plants including hibiscus leaves and cactus. Mushrooms, boiled mashed whole eggs. Vegetable matter, dog or cat food and/or non seasoned boiled chicken or shrimp. (To avoid salmonella) and prepared tortoise chow such as Mazuri 5M21
In fact theres an excellent chance that your Redfoot can eat most of what you already have in your home for human consumption and things growing outside your house. Non processed. Non seasoned. Fresh foods that have not been treated in anyway by pesticides.
Take full advantage of the huge range of foods that a RF can eat.
Get creative. Mix it up.
Thats really cool. I heard that they cant have tomatoes and fruits often but i assume redfoots are different from other tortoises since they would normally eat them
In the wild. So like twice a day sweet potatoes, zuchini, cherry tomatoes, strawberries(maybe?) and other things would be acceptable? I also feed him tortoise pellets, not sure if thats recommended.

America
Greens, fruits, and veggies
Everyday: mixed greens
2-3 times a week: butternut squash, mango/papaya/pineapple
1-2 times a week: mushrooms, bananas, kibble (mazuri/zoomed)

Animal protein in small quantities
2-3 times a week: mazuri croc kibble, frozen raw dog food (mostly meat/organ/bone)

Jamie
Could tortoise pellets with protein substitute dog food or no?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Could tortoise pellets with protein substitute dog food or no?
Entirely... When I don't have the dog food, I've used eggs (with shell), salmon (with skin), and beef or chicken liver, but they probably don't need additional animal protein if they get a varied enough diet.

Variety is really important IMHO.

Jamie

America
Entirely... When I don't have the dog food, I've used eggs (with shell), salmon (with skin), and beef or chicken liver, but they probably don't need additional animal protein if they get a varied enough diet.

Variety is really important IMHO.

Jamie
Alright so you think it would be fine on the occasion?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats really cool. I heard that they cant have tomatoes and fruits often but i assume redfoots are different from other tortoises since they would normally eat them
In the wild. So like twice a day sweet potatoes, zuchini, cherry tomatoes, strawberries(maybe?) and other things would be acceptable? I also feed him tortoise pellets, not sure if thats recommended.
Redfoot ARE DIFFERENT.
Don't give just any tortoise a diet like that!
Try not to feed the same thing every day. Offer variety.

America
Redfoot ARE DIFFERENT.
Don't give just any tortoise a diet like that!
Try not to feed the same thing every day. Offer variety.
@ZEROPILOT hes eating iceberg lettuce and bananas right now. I am getting real substrate in for him and the light you recommended along with terracota saucer dishes. Very excited! Got some on his beak hahaimage.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
@ZEROPILOT hes eating iceberg lettuce and bananas right now. I am getting real substrate in for him and the light you recommended along with terracota saucer dishes. Very excited! Got some on his beak hahaView attachment 339286
Just a thought here but look at what yu are feeding....iceberg lettuce which has no value and bananna...look at what I fed...1642812535143.png
I am just trying to make a point....I fed all those berries, spring mix, radicchio, and grated zucchini for breakfast. For a bed time snack he got cooked yam and raw mushrooms. All stuff that is good for them...and they love it...

America
Just a thought here but look at what yu are feeding....iceberg lettuce which has no value and bananna...look at what I fed...View attachment 339287
I am just trying to make a point....I fed all those berries, spring mix, radicchio, and grated zucchini for breakfast. For a bed time snack he got cooked yam and raw mushrooms. All stuff that is good for them...and they love it...
No of course, didint know iceberg lettuce was not nutritional. This was only a temporary dish until i grab some more foods for him. He normally gets grated sweet potatoes, zucchini, cherry tomatoes and other sorts. I just ran out and needed a filler dish

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Iceberg lettuce has no real nutritional value.
While it's not harmful. It's not a good food item.
I'd leave that off of the menu.
I'm very glad that you are taking our advice without hesitation.
Things will get easy soon

America
Iceberg lettuce has no real nutritional value.
While it's not harmful. It's not a good food item.
I'd leave that off of the menu.
I'm very glad that you are taking our advice without hesitation.
Things will get easy soon
Thank you so much. I will send updates one at a time. I really appreciate all your help

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Some times it can be a bit overwhelming when more than one person is commenting or giving advice to you...I like to put pictures of what I do making it easier for someone to understand...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Some times it can be a bit overwhelming when more than one person is commenting or giving advice to you...I like to put pictures of what I do making it easier for someone to understand...
It was very helpful.
I almost never take photos of tortoise meals.