RF questions

Nyah S.

Location (City and/or State)
New york
I have a red footed tortoise. She’s not that big so I make a big enclosure with blankets and put her on my living room floor which has heated floors. I do this to let her walk around because the temporary habitat I have her in isn’t that big. Is it ok to do this? Also is a 4’ by 2’ enclosure a good size? I am building one. IMG_1513264833.560507.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Your tortoise needs a regular enclosure. There should be about 4 or 5 inches of substrate, a waterer, a feeding tile and a couple of hiding places. Here's an example of a redfoot enclosure:

2689757_orig.jpg

Your blanket enclosure doesn't allow for humidity, something the RF tortoise requires in his life. It's ok to do temporarily, but I wouldn't keep him like that for more than a week or so.

Nyah S.

New york
Hi, and welcome!

Your tortoise needs a regular enclosure. There should be about 4 or 5 inches of substrate, a waterer, a feeding tile and a couple of hiding places. Here's an example of a redfoot enclosure:

2689757_orig.jpg

Your blanket enclosure doesn't allow for humidity, something the RF tortoise requires in his life. It's ok to do temporarily, but I wouldn't keep him like that for more than a week or so.

Oh, I forgot to mention I do have a temporary enclosure with substrate water and a hiding place this is just to let her walk around when I’m home

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Hi, and welcome!

2689757_orig.jpg

This is beautiful. Wish my habitat looked like this.