RFs better in groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I see a lot of pictures here and many members have RFs together. Would an alone RF be at a disadvantage in anyway? I read in books that they are solitary creatures though.

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
No. The reason why you see so many together is that they co-exist well together with little to no bullying.

TORTOMANIA

5 Year Member
BUFFALO NY
i find that as long as you keep the male female raio to about 2 male to 6 female they all get along just fine

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Pio needs company! It is not fair that he gets that slice of heaven all to himself, hmm, maybe a girlfriend is in his future?

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Even if they're not better in groups, I bet they're funnier in groups ;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
allegraf said:
Pio needs company! It is not fair that he gets that slice of heaven all to himself, hmm, maybe a girlfriend is in his future?

LOL....I'm working on it.

When Pio was a hatchling I got a little Three Toed at the same time and he grew up in a vivarium with the little boxie. The boxie couldn't care less if Pio was there or not, but Pio followed him around and even stopped eating when the boxie did, to follow him into the hide. He followed that boxie everywhere. This went on for almost two years, and when I separated them, Pio didn't eat for a while and spent his days searching and walking up and down the length of the enclosure for a long time.

022.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
HarleyK said:
I see a lot of pictures here and many members have RFs together. Would an alone RF be at a disadvantage in anyway? I read in books that they are solitary creatures though.

well...... with 15 in the RF collection ....I say they DO live better in groups. I disagree about being solitary. They absolutley have ranks within groups .. as well as favo hides ect. Iam not saying they dont do well alone, but common sense tells me ... anything solitary has less of a chance to reproduce and also makes for easy prey. In my experience, torts in the wild deffinitly have small " territory’s" that they usally live most of their life. Thus there must be others around , Different males for mating compitition, as well as viable females within an area. Anyhow they ARE* much more fun in groups ....:p.... *HAPPY TORT ~N *
din4-1.jpg

JD~:)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I think the safest, best supported answer to this is that Red-foots are a semi-social species that does better in groups than individually, but not to the point that one should feel terrible if they can only keep one.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
I think the safest, best supported answer to this is that Red-foots are a semi-social species that does better in groups than individually, but not to the point that one should feel terrible if they can only keep one.

Absolutly no one should feel terrible ... Just one , healthy, well cared for tort is far better than a " herd" of grossly kept " pets" .... and of course taking in consideration ... " in the wild " and a " captive speciman" are two different scenerios...that I point out in my last post in this thread .

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I've always heard that they do better in groups, but are still fine living solo lives. It probably depends on the tortoise, as all are different.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Is that mazuri that I see in this pic? Nice picture!

N2TORTS said:
Madkins007 said:

Absolutly no one should feel terrible ... Just one , healthy, well cared for tort is far better than a " herd" of grossly kept " pets" .... and of course taking in consideration ... " in the wild " and a " captive speciman" are two different scenerios...that I point out in my last post in this thread .

Status
Not open for further replies.