Rhino's BORED!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottishscott

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, Rhino is in great health and eating like,well,a rhino. His hours have changed a bit mainly at evening time. He retires before the light cuts off. He's in the hide house sometimes at 4:00 pm and stays in there until morning. Do you guys think maybe he is bored and in need of a companion for company? If so, how well does that work keeping two together. Especially, not knowing what sex they are yet.

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
scottishscott said:
Hello everyone, Rhino is in great health and eating like,well,a rhino. His hours have changed a bit mainly at evening time. He retires before the light cuts off. He's in the hide house sometimes at 4:00 pm and stays in there until morning. Do you guys think maybe he is bored and in need of a companion for company? If so, how well does that work keeping two together. Especially, not knowing what sex they are yet.

Try adding new things to the enclosure for enrichment. Piles of hay, live plants (pick up some lettuce planters and put them in!), get him new hides to sleep in, offer him food that's not cut up - there's a lot of little things you can do to entertain them. Try putting in a whole, uncut tomato. For a smaller tortoise, they're harder to eat because they're round, so that can sometimes entertain them for hours as they try to get a bite! Usually just switching up the decor from time to time can entertain them as well.

-Jen

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto to what Jen of LLLReptile said. Torts do not need, nor want company. It usually has to be more then one for it to work, and then the sex ratio needs to be right too. Your better off, changing things up or letting him be. Winter hours usually brings a change to every animal, reptile, chelonian, etc, etc, four and two legged:D

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Mine's also in its sleeping spot between 2-4pm and doesn't move until morning. I figured young ones just sleep a lot. Other than that everything seems fine.

scottishscott

5 Year Member
Thanks. I will try some of those things .I have already been giving him food that is not cut up. I just put some hay piles in and he is checking them out. Tomorrow I will get some tomatoes and try to find some lettuce planters. Are there any plants you can plant directly in the coco coir?

LLLReptile said:
scottishscott said:

Try adding new things to the enclosure for enrichment. Piles of hay, live plants (pick up some lettuce planters and put them in!), get him new hides to sleep in, offer him food that's not cut up - there's a lot of little things you can do to entertain them. Try putting in a whole, uncut tomato. For a smaller tortoise, they're harder to eat because they're round, so that can sometimes entertain them for hours as they try to get a bite! Usually just switching up the decor from time to time can entertain them as well.

-Jen
Jen or somebody,would you mind looking at this seed mix and let me know if all is ok for tortoises. Rhino loves spring mix,but lately he is being partial to Zoo Med Grassland tortoise mixture and Mazuri. Plus,when warm enough to take him outside the occasional grazing in the yard.

scottishscott

5 Year Member
LLLReptile said:
scottishscott said:

-Jen

Jen,

Went to check on Rhino a little while ago. We could not find him. He had done the cutest thing. He burrowed into the hay pile and went to sleep. I think he likes it.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
If Rhino is a definite female, and you add another definite female, and the enclosure is large enough, and you put out plenty of food, and they're both of the same size and species, it'll often work out, as long as your two well-fed females, of the same size/species aren't of the more territorial species (Steppe, sulcata, etc.)

If of different genders, a ratio of 1/M to at least 2 F is absolutely required.

2 males in the same enclosure usually means that one will die in a nasty way.

Status
Not open for further replies.