Ridge along plastron

Spurs2131

Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeenshire
I have noticed today that my tortoise has got a raised ridge in the centre of his/her plastron.

I feel awful about this as poor tort has spent a lot of time inside this summer due to accidental spraying of weed killer in the outside enclosure and I'm wondering if being inside a lot of summer is responsible for this deformity.

Fed on weeds I grow myself (not from the contaminated area!) And occasional romaine or lambs lettuce if required to bulk it out some days. He/she is 5 years old. New arcadia uvb tube in spring. Basking area about 32 degrees, cool side about 22. Coco coir substrate soaked down thoroughly once a week. Gets calcium a few times a week and nutrobal once (although admittedly there was a few weeks without it when I was trying to get my hands on some!) Independently sits in his water bowl maybe once a week.

Have I ruined my poor tort forever because of one failed summer?

I have another tort kept in exactly the same conditions but separately and it is fine. Pics of them both attached for comparison.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220810_140721.jpg
    20220810_140721.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220810_140850.jpg
    20220810_140850.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have noticed today that my tortoise has got a raised ridge in the centre of his/her plastron.

I feel awful about this as poor tort has spent a lot of time inside this summer due to accidental spraying of weed killer in the outside enclosure and I'm wondering if being inside a lot of summer is responsible for this deformity.

Fed on weeds I grow myself (not from the contaminated area!) And occasional romaine or lambs lettuce if required to bulk it out some days. He/she is 5 years old. New arcadia uvb tube in spring. Basking area about 32 degrees, cool side about 22. Coco coir substrate soaked down thoroughly once a week. Gets calcium a few times a week and nutrobal once (although admittedly there was a few weeks without it when I was trying to get my hands on some!) Independently sits in his water bowl maybe once a week.

Have I ruined my poor tort forever because of one failed summer?

I have another tort kept in exactly the same conditions but separately and it is fine. Pics of them both attached for comparison.

Thanks!
That is not a deformity and nothing is ruined. Its just normal plastron growth and texture.

What substrate are you using? Is it damp?

I prefer the basking area closer to 36C, but if the tortoises behavior and appetite is good, I'd leave it as is for yours.

Do these two tortoises share the same enclosure? What size enclosure?

Spurs2131

Aberdeenshire
Thanks so much Tom. Thought I had broken him or her!

Im using cococoir and I wouldn't say it's properly damp but it definitely isn't dry. I pour in a few litres of water once a week, more often if its looking dusty. It is much hotter than usual here at the moment and it is making the house very hot so perhaps the coir has been slightly drier recently.

Behaviour is normal and appetite is good.

No these guys don't share an enclosure. I separated them years ago. I have a suspicion they may be different sexes, not sure, so they don't share outside either. No tortoise babies here thank you!

Thanks so much for reassuring me about normal growth. I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time you have helped me with various things! Much appreciated!