Ridges

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Since Tuleo is outside 10+ hours a day now I see some changes in his carapace. Has anyone else noticed this in their Sulcata when they make the "big move" outdoors? (He still comes in at night.)

He looks very 3-D...

yvonne.jpg

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
Wow that's a smooth shell! Nice work! I've hear people talking about problems after they change them to outdoor. Looks great to me though!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
DawnH, his carapace looks slightly
3-D-ish but nothing I would be even slightly concerned with. I think it looks like a nice, smooth growing Sulcata to me.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Thanks everyone. I am pretty much a helicopter tortoise mom and have been trying to breathe a bit more with him but NOW LOOK AT HIM... (ha!)

Prairie Mom, thanks for sending Blakes link. Good reading! We were gone for 3 weeks so some things were lacking (there is only so much a 19 year old can do on his on caring for one tort, the dogs, cats, chickens, ferret, betta fish and cockatiel) and now that we are backing I am hoping he won't look so wonky.

Ken, what do you think causes this? I am assuming the natural lack of humidity due to him being outside all day and no longer in a closed chamber, eh?

Tuleo thanks you all for the comments on how handsome he is. (He's been in the mud today so he is a bit of a mess...) His mom sure thinks he's pretty darn dreamy! ;)

muddin.jpg

Prairie Mom

If it bothers you, maybe test out spraying with warm water 3-4xdaily the way Blake suggested. He showed a pretty amazing photo of new growth after only 3 weeks.

Also, I think your 19 yr old did a great job on his own:)

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
If it bothers you, maybe test out spraying with warm water 3-4xdaily the way Blake suggested. He showed a pretty amazing photo of new growth after only 3 weeks.

Also, I think your 19 yr old did a great job on his own:)

He really did!! The house was even vacuumed when we came home...lol

As far as Tuleo goes, I spray him a few times a day and even have a mister out when it is over 95. Pfft. It's baffling.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Thanks everyone.
Ken, what do you think causes this? I am assuming the natural lack of humidity due to him being outside all day and no longer in a closed chamber, eh?
I can't truthfully answer that. With Little Ricky, when I moved him outside it was full time with a heated house and other Sulcatas so I can't even offer an accurate explanation for it. Covered in mud ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440897701.811047.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I was hoping this thread would be about ruffles

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Since Tuleo is outside 10+ hours a day now I see some changes in his carapace. Has anyone else noticed this in their Sulcata when they make the "big move" outdoors? (He still comes in at night.)

~ You have changed his entire dynamics, more natural vegetation, food sources, exercise, and real sunshine. Change should be expected. His growth and shell development truly looks great!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I can't truthfully answer that. With Little Ricky, when I moved him outside it was full time with a heated house and other Sulcatas so I can't even offer an accurate explanation for it. Covered in mud View attachment 146000

Well, he is a freakishly handsome fella!!! Looks like Tuleo in regards to his (Pringles) ridges.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
~ You have changed his entire dynamics, more natural vegetation, food sources, exercise, and real sunshine. Change should be expected. His growth and shell development truly looks great!

Well, when you put it that way, it makes sense...lol. THANK YOU!! I tend to over think and figured (hoped) it was normal but wanted to double check!!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Well, when you put it that way, it makes sense...lol. THANK YOU!! I tend to over think and figured (hoped) it was normal but wanted to double check!!
I agree as well.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I think he looks great !
m1257.gif