Right temp?

Cheryl1503

Location (City and/or State)
Lanarkshire
Hi new tortoise mum here! I am keeping my baby hermann in a vivarium at the moment as advised from the guy I got him from and then I will move him to a table later on . What I am struggling with is what overall temp should the enclosure be? I know we need a cool side abs warm side but I was given a stick in thermostat which I have put on the back wall in the centre, it’s reading 92degrees Celsius, is this ok?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
92 in celsius is too hot. Get the tortoise out. 92 degree ferinheight is ok.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Please read the care sheet. It has the proper temperatures you will need. And welcome to the forum

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi new tortoise mum here! I am keeping my baby hermann in a vivarium at the moment as advised from the guy I got him from and then I will move him to a table later on . What I am struggling with is what overall temp should the enclosure be? I know we need a cool side abs warm side but I was given a stick in thermostat which I have put on the back wall in the centre, it’s reading 92degrees Celsius, is this ok?

I'm so glad someone in the UK is recommending a viv! Usually new keepers are advised to use a table right away.
Your guy gave you good advice!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
Have you found the Hermanns caresheet in the species specific section yet? That will help you with diet, temps, humidity, substrate etc

I think you may need to change the substrate for something without the white bits which torts will try to eat and can cause digestive problems. Coco coir and/or orchid bark is popular but check the caresheet for advice for Hermanns.
Avoid sand as that can get on the food and if ingested can cause the gut to become impacted.

The thermometer you have isn't great, it may give you an ambient temp reading in the viv but you would be better with a digital temp gun which you can use to spot check temps at tort level around the enclosure. I bought mine from Amazon - about £15. Many of us also use a digital thermometer/hydrometer with a probe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is a lot of old wrong care info circulating around for most tortoise species. Here is the current and correct care info: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Using a closed chamber (viv) simply allows you to control the temperature and humidity without having to fight the room temp and humidity. Makes your life easier and the tortoises life better. You can house them this way indefinitely as long as the viv is large enough.

The stick on dial type thermometers are not accurate or reliable. Throw it away and get a digital one from a hardware store. There isn't much you need from a pet shop. They will give you bad advice and sell you the wrong products.

You've got get rid of that substrate ASAP.

Questions are welcome.

Cheryl1503

Lanarkshire
Hi and welcome.
Have you found the Hermanns caresheet in the species specific section yet? That will help you with diet, temps, humidity, substrate etc

I think you may need to change the substrate for something without the white bits which torts will try to eat and can cause digestive problems. Coco coir and/or orchid bark is popular but check the caresheet for advice for Hermanns.
Avoid sand as that can get on the food and if ingested can cause the gut to become impacted.

The thermometer you have isn't great, it may give you an ambient temp reading in the viv but you would be better with a digital temp gun which you can use to spot check temps at tort level around the enclosure. I bought mine from Amazon - about £15. Many of us also use a digital thermometer/hydrometer with a probe.
Hi Lyn! Thank so much for the advice. I was actually looking at the hydro meters on Amazon last night that give you the temp and humidity? I will have a look at changing his substrate too, thanks so much again ☺️

Cheryl1503

Lanarkshire
There is a lot of old wrong care info circulating around for most tortoise species. Here is the current and correct care info: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Using a closed chamber (viv) simply allows you to control the temperature and humidity without having to fight the room temp and humidity. Makes your life easier and the tortoises life better. You can house them this way indefinitely as long as the viv is large enough.

The stick on dial type thermometers are not accurate or reliable. Throw it away and get a digital one from a hardware store. There isn't much you need from a pet shop. They will give you bad advice and sell you the wrong products.

You've got get rid of that substrate ASAP.

Questions are welcome.
Hi! Thanks for all your advice, I’ve a feeling this forum is going to be invaluable in helping raise my little one! Lyn also advised to change the substrate, so I’m going to look into that and the digital thermometer too ??☺️

Cheryl1503

Lanarkshire
Hi! Thanks for all your advice, I’ve a feeling this forum is going to be invaluable in helping raise my little one! Lyn also advised to change the substrate, so I’m going to look into that and the digital thermometer too ??☺
Tom, is this what you think is best? Just so I know I’m buying the right stuff

Attachments

• 66F3D388-C660-4124-9D19-380F2EEE45C3.png
    66F3D388-C660-4124-9D19-380F2EEE45C3.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 9153DAE3-D247-492A-AA6C-795B41B8DD71.png
    9153DAE3-D247-492A-AA6C-795B41B8DD71.png
    424.9 KB · Views: 14

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer to keep little baby Testudo on damp hand packed coco coir. They can dig into it a little easier and make little humid microclimates for themselves wen they want. Coco coir is also called Eco Earth, Bed a Beast, coco peat, and probably a few more. It is plain ground coco husk.

Orchid bark, like what you linked here, is my main substrate for larger Testudo and everything else. I make the switch once the Testudo reach around 8-10 cm.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you go for Tom's reommendation of coco coir for baby torts, it is sold in blocks and you have to expand it in water.
Before using, either bake it in the oven to kill any little bugs that may be in it or I use boiling water to expand it and that seems to work too.

Cheryl1503

Lanarkshire
I prefer to keep little baby Testudo on damp hand packed coco coir. They can dig into it a little easier and make little humid microclimates for themselves wen they want. Coco coir is also called Eco Earth, Bed a Beast, coco peat, and probably a few more. It is plain ground coco husk.

Orchid bark, like what you linked here, is my main substrate for larger Testudo and everything else. I make the switch once the Testudo reach around 8-10 cm.
Brilliant thanks!