RIP Pebbles

rebeccalynn1208

Like previously stated, a quick death is unusual. I have a very ill tortoise that has been dying (also unknown cause) for months and is still hanging on.
Is it possible that it could have eaten and been poisoned by something?
Parasites are always around and aren't much of a concern for healthy specimens. Especially if you haven't introduced new tortoises recently.
While I'm sorry for your loss. I'm also concerned for you in regard the the health and safety of your other animals.
A vet visit will likely find some type or types of parasite. Almost any fecal test will find them in almost every tortoise. Don't be alarmed unless the vet determines that it is some very heavy infestation.
(A lot of vets don't seem to be aware of this fact.)

I think that there is a chance that he possibly ate something poisonous, also he hadn't been eating as much as he usually had following the weeks before his death. This is the first tortoise I've ever experienced death with out of 8 years of owning tortoises (which isn't long to most people but is actually half of my life)
The rest are all extremely active, eat like little pigs, and I am very confused. I know it had to be something I just wish I knew what.

rebeccalynn1208

I've been told that a healthy tortoise can go without eating for three months and be fine.
So, yes. It's very odd.

The only thing I can think of is lately
His skin was almost shedding off. Like really badly and very strangely. The forum said it was normal and that it shouldn't take long to heal but it just kept flaking off. None of my other tortoises have this at all, and this is the only one of my torts that would not self soak. Is dehydration a possibility???

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've never seen skin shedding on any of my Redfooteds. Not any . But mine live in a tropical environment.
Weigh your others and monitor the condition of the poop. Make sure that they act normal and grow steadily. Hopefully your issue passed with the dead tortoise.

rebeccalynn1208

I would think that depending on the set up and humidity it could be normal. I just have never seen it.

I just don't know...I actually have one younger than that one and she's doing great. Great growth, super active. But this one passed. I don't understand.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've been assuming that everything else is O.K. like temperature etc. I don't want to offend you or act like I know everything.
Could overheating have caused this?
Now I'm just guessing.

rebeccalynn1208

I've been assuming that everything else is O.K. like temperature etc. I don't want to offend you or act like I know everything.
Could overheating have caused this?
Now I'm just guessing.

The temps are at 80-85 on warm end with several hides. I wish I could go get tests done :/ I guess overall I'll never know, but I'm for sure going to keep an eye on my other torts and make sure everything's well with them. I can only stand so much heart break :(

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
I know, that's why I'm trying to figure out what happened. My only possible hypothesis is maybe somehow he had a parasite/bug.
if you fed grasses from your yard or let your guys graze in the yard I'd suspect insecticide or fertilizer.. in which case I'm make sure the rest of your herd doesn't have access to wild grasses anymore

rebeccalynn1208

if you fed grasses from your yard or let your guys graze in the yard I'd suspect insecticide or fertilizer.. in which case I'm make sure the rest of your herd doesn't have access to wild grasses anymore

Trust me I have gone full mother commando. Everything that could have possibly been wrong I've been keeping an eye on for the others. I'm not losing another one, no matter what the situation.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
I am also sorry for your loss. I am new to all this myself and have a very small baby tort around a 3 inch shell. I can say that my
guy has had his skin peeling and have been told that it was normal. My guy is very small and growing fast at this small size. How big was your Pebbles and did you have it the hole 3 years? And yes if you take the others to the vet please let us know what happens. And if you do happen to think of what might have happened to Pebbles? :O( Thanks