Roaches other than Dubia or Discoid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I am looking for a smaller type of roach that is similar to the dubia and discoid, meaning no flight, and after adulthood not very good climbers. I have raised these 2 kinds before but they get to big for what I need to feed. Any suggestions will be helpful, Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have been considering getting some dubia roaches for my chameleon. I own and live in a apartment building. I can't have roaches get out into the building. Is it true that they, dubia of all ages can't climb plastic or fly or jump? I am really scared to get them and my hubby really don't like the idea. Also, do you know any place I can buy just a small amount of them. I don't want to try a lot, incase he won't eat them.
Also, let me know if you find the other roaches you are looking for. I could possibly try them also. Sorry to be hijacking:( :D Thanks:)

Len B

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
I have been considering getting some dubia roaches for my chameleon. I own and live in a apartment building. I can't have roaches get out into the building. Is it true that they, dubia of all ages can't climb plastic or fly or jump? I am really scared to get them and my hubby really don't like the idea. Also, do you know any place I can buy just a small amount of them. I don't want to try a lot, incase he won't eat them.
Also, let me know if you find the other roaches you are looking for. I could possibly try them also. Sorry to be hijacking:( :D Thanks:)

I never had a problem with the dubia climbing at any age, only the discoid, the youngsters could climb,to keep them in a little Vaseline around the top kept them in. I believe Tom still raises them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Len, look into Blatta lateralis. "Red Runners" as Bert L. liked to call them. They can tolerate cold and dry better than dubia or discoids, so not so good for an apartment building, but should be fine for you. They don't hide like the dubia or discoids and they can't climb smooth surfaces any better than dubia. Lobsters are the right size, but they climb very well.

Blatta orientalis would work, but they are a known pest species and can survive cool temps.

Is it not practical to use babies out of the dubia colony?

Rambo

5 Year Member
Southern California
Sorry for the random post but Wellington but you live in a apartment complex ? Do you have any large leopards ?? And if so how do you manage the care for them, because I too live in a apartment with my little one and was hoping for some advice because you are limited on sunshine and grass. of course Im planing on living in a house one day

Len B

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
Len, look into Blatta lateralis. "Red Runners" as Bert L. liked to call them. They can tolerate cold and dry better than dubia or discoids, so not so good for an apartment building, but should be fine for you. They don't hide like the dubia or discoids and they can't climb smooth surfaces any better than dubia. Lobsters are the right size, but they climb very well.

Blatta orientalis would work, but they are a known pest species and can survive cool temps.

Is it not practical to use babies out of the dubia colony?

Thanks Tom, Turkistan or Red Runners is the name I was looking for but could not remember, I thought about getting some of these when i was raising the others but was drawing a blank on the names yesterday(senior moment). If the dubia didn't grow so fast I could use them, but afraid I would end up having a bunch of extra adults like what happened before. The perfect food would be Earwigs, but there is no way to contain them that I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.