Road trip

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I got to go on a bit of a road trip Tuesday and I wanted to share some of it. I saw in person the biggest Sulcata I have ever seen...I was in awe of a creep Sulcata several well over 200 pounds. Bigger tortoises that I had never seen before...I saw beautiful Aldabrans, getting bigger Galops, and them (lol) Sulcata. My sister had several large Sulcata over the years but Dudley was her best and he was maybe 150 lbs, my Bob was about 120 pounds when he died...but these were genuine GIANT Sulcata tortoises, between 10 and 13-14 of them. I was kinda speechless. One thing I noticed was very defined faces, the males were obviously male and the females faces were softer. I saw rare box turtles and aquatic turtles. I was in turtle and tortoise heaven...there was talk of having a couple of Tom's Sudan's but I don't remember seeing them...and I saw some animals! Never met them before, but they have a beautiful GSD named Maggie lol. Oh...and a hairless cat...
And I drove that Taurus...I drove 1059 miles in 15 hours...Surprisingly that Taurus was comfortable for that many miles. My IROC would have beat us to crap doing that. Also VERY surprisingly my IROC got much better gas mileage, 24 mpg in Old Blue. She kept creeping up to 80 when I didn't pay attention...didn't see 1 OST...but there was more CHP than stink on sh*t...WE ate homemade sandwiches and bags of junk food, brought Mt Dew and listened to loud old RnR and had fun. My 31 yr old grandson went along cuz he has a cell phone and I don't. I was afraid I'd breakdown w/out a fone, but he doesn't drive. And the worst thing...I forgot my camera...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like a nice road trip.
I can see you speeding down the highway, singing to the tunes and your grandson thinking, I have a lead foot cool grandma.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I got to go on a bit of a road trip Tuesday and I wanted to share some of it. I saw in person the biggest Sulcata I have ever seen...I was in awe of a creep Sulcata several well over 200 pounds. Bigger tortoises that I had never seen before...I saw beautiful Aldabrans, getting bigger Galops, and them (lol) Sulcata. My sister had several large Sulcata over the years but Dudley was her best and he was maybe 150 lbs, my Bob was about 120 pounds when he died...but these were genuine GIANT Sulcata tortoises, between 10 and 13-14 of them. I was kinda speechless. One thing I noticed was very defined faces, the males were obviously male and the females faces were softer. I saw rare box turtles and aquatic turtles. I was in turtle and tortoise heaven...there was talk of having a couple of Tom's Sudan's but I don't remember seeing them...and I saw some animals! Never met them before, but they have a beautiful GSD named Maggie lol. Oh...and a hairless cat...
And I drove that Taurus...I drove 1059 miles in 15 hours...Surprisingly that Taurus was comfortable for that many miles. My IROC would have beat us to crap doing that. Also VERY surprisingly my IROC got much better gas mileage, 24 mpg in Old Blue. She kept creeping up to 80 when I didn't pay attention...didn't see 1 OST...but there was more CHP than stink on sh*t...WE ate homemade sandwiches and bags of junk food, brought Mt Dew and listened to loud old RnR and had fun. My 31 yr old grandson went along cuz he has a cell phone and I don't. I was afraid I'd breakdown w/out a fone, but he doesn't drive. And the worst thing...I forgot my camera...
So then. Why didn't you ask your 31 year old grandson to take a few pictures so we could believe you??? Hmph.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
So then. Why didn't you ask your 31 year old grandson to take a few pictures so we could believe you??? Hmph.
Tammy. You are just jealous that Maggie can go on a long trip without ending up in the sea after ten minutes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah. . . I realize you don't have a cell phone camera, but I'll bet Matt (Mac?)'s cell phone had a camera!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Where did you go on your trip and get to see all those animals? A sanctuary?