Roadtrip

Briannesmith1

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
I currently have been having some health problems and was diagnosed with mono and hepatitis A. I am driving home for the summer to be with my family which is from Tucson to Chicago. I have a 3 month old Sulcata hatchling. I want to make sure he will be safe for the 24 hour drive he is in his 55 gallon tank. I can only run his lights every so often in the car for fear of blowing a fuse. What temperatures should I start to worry about? I have his food and even brought my patch of growing grass with lol. Right now his closed chamber is at 85 degrees and 85 ish humidity.

Briannesmith1

Tucson
also I am worried that he won’t eat. He is currently about 90 grams, will he be okay if he doesn’t eat he next few days becuase he’s scared? I have filled his bowl in the cage but he is so confused what is going on.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Unless it gets very cold in the car, it will more than likely be ok with no heat source. If you stop for the night, you can probably find an electrical outlet to plug in a CHE or black light for over night. Keep the tank covered to help keep the existing heat inside. If he doesn't eat for a few days it's no big deal.

Briannesmith1

Tucson
Unless it gets very cold in the car, it will more than likely be ok with no heat source. If you stop for the night, you can probably find an electrical outlet to plug in a CHE or black light for over night. Keep the tank covered to help keep the existing heat inside. If he doesn't eat for a few days it's no big deal.

Thank you so much I was worried! I have his basking light running right now with his CHE, but I’ve been turning it on and off every hour. Only 20 hours to go.... haha

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
A day without the uvb light will not hurt him.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Your torts are like "WOAH the world feels like it's moving fast today"!

Briannesmith1

Tucson
Update: we got stuck in a hail storm and everyone is scared including myself. Lol. My Sulcata hatchling decided he worked up enough courage to walk around his cage and ate like 2 handfuls of spring mix and grazing tortoise grass! We’re doing good.

Briannesmith1

Tucson
I have another question, we stopped at a hotel last night half way through our drive. I set his cage up and everything was good until I woke up this morning and the CHE wasn’t working..... it was probably 70 ish degrees in my hatchlings cage. I immediately picked him up out of there and he wouldn’t open his eyes much, I soaked him in warm water for like 10 minutes before we hit the road again. I have since turned the basking light on for more heat regardless of it being bright. He walked under his log and opened his eyes. Should he be ok?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I don't know to much about the Sulcatas. A brief period of time in the 70s though, I'd assume is no big deal.