Roaming Behavior

DWB

5 Year Member
A quick observation. My hatchling S is out sunning in a paperbox top with some bark as substrate. It is about 72 degrees outside. He is running around like crazy, having a great time.

His inside habitat is a 20 ga long aquarium with same substrate. Temps over 80 and humidity over 70%. He seems to stay away from the side of the tank with the basking bulb, and in general does not walk around much, only to get to the food bowl, and hangs out in his hide or behind it.

So he seems to be more active while outside, though cooler. I read about torts running around their habitats, and I want to make him happy. I sometimes feel he is lethargic, but then when outside he perks up considerably. Normal?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Could you post a picture of your inside habitat? What type of basking bulb are you using?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
And, what are you using to read the temps inside the enclosure? If it's one of those disc type usually found at the pet stores, well they are never accurate. Get yourself a temp gun and a digital temp/humidity gauge. Both can be found at places like Home Depot for around 25.00 each or actually less.

DWB

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. I ripped my digital therm/hygrometer out of my cigar humidor. Curious side note, I bought it from a reptile store online, to use for cigars, before I ever even thought of owning a tortoise. And I also have a IR thermogun. So I can trust the numbers are close enough for our purposes. My basking bulb is a Neodymium 150w flood in a dimmable hood. Also a CHE in a dimmable hood.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Most tortoises are more active when outside.
Since your tort is only in a 20gal long when inside, he's probably bored.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Babies do tend to hide and avoid open spaces. If he is spending no time under the basking light I would suspect that it is too hot, or maybe just too bright for his liking. Also, he may be just feeling a bit insecure and therefore hiding. This happens in a glass aquariums sometimes. Cover the bottom 6" (from the top of the substrate up) of each side with some cardboard to block his view of the outside. He may feel more secure and spend some time under his basking light (if it is not too hot).

Outside, babies are going to motor about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A 150 watt bulb is way to much in a tank that small. I use a 65 watt in a 100 gallon tank.

Even at 72, in a tiny little box top like that with no shade, you can cook that baby. Your tortoise needs more room. You need a bigger indoor enclosure and a bigger outdoor enclosure. You can use cinderblock to make an enclosure on the ground, or a large kiddie pool with some shade and substrate. There are lots of ideas for this in my signature.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm afraid I have a little bit different 'take' on the matter. When babies are outside in the wide open spaces, they are afraid. They are prey after all. How many times have you see baby tortoises in a wildlife TV show, or heard of babies being spotted out in the wild. You don't, and that's because when they are outside they are hiding. When a baby is taken from his 'safe' indoor habitat and put outside where he doesn't have or know of hiding places, he runs around frantically, looking for a safe place.

This is just my perception...not scientific knowledge.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne G said:
I'm afraid I have a little bit different 'take' on the matter. When babies are outside in the wide open spaces, they are afraid. They are prey after all. How many times have you see baby tortoises in a wildlife TV show, or heard of babies being spotted out in the wild. You don't, and that's because when they are outside they are hiding. When a baby is taken from his 'safe' indoor habitat and put outside where he doesn't have or know of hiding places, he runs around frantically, looking for a safe place.

This is just my perception...not scientific knowledge.

I agree and have observed the same.